World’s calmest rabbit?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BiscuitBunMum

Reaction score
I adopted a (approx) 2 year old netherland dwarf about 2 1/2 months ago and I can’t tell if he’s just really calm or bored? For context, he was a rescue who was returned/picked up by a pet store charity and then re-adopted back out. Unfortunately, when I adopted him I noticed some severely overgrown teeth which turned out to be growing into his cheek causing an abscess and infection. As a result he stopped breathing during his emergency surgery and had to be resuscitated. He’s now much better, is a healthy weight, teeth under control etc. he’s even just been neutered (woo!) but he is just sooooo calm I’m worried he’s bored or had a bad past and traumatised.

541CD847-1C53-46D5-80D8-EB3828823C60.jpeghe’s free roam and he does wander my room occasionally, he’s very inquisitive. He doesn’t scare easily. If I walk towards him at least 9/10 times he stays put or comes to me. When I’m hoovering he runs towards it to investigate (it’s a shark with the lightson so you’d think he’d be scared 😂). If I ever pick him up he’s so chill about it and likes being held and stroked, sometimes purring. But if I put him down and strokehim he walks away.
BUT 80% of his day he just sits in the corner. I can surround him with toys and he just doesn’t touch them. Occasionally he will toss one in the hair but that’s it. He has a cage where he can escape to (it’s always open) but he rarely goes in there unless he’s sleeping but sometimes he sleeps in front of me. He has no interest in hay but as soon as I give him pellets or snacks he will nibble but he isn’t ever excited for food.

obviously I don’t know what happened to him before I had him and there’s no definite answers he was mistreated but I worry about howhe was treated in the past. They said his old owner had to go into hospital so it’s possible his teeth were just a consequence of an ill owner so i don’t want to accuse them but I am worried he was mistreated/neglected in his old home.

but look at him 🥺🥺🥺

2BF01876-ADD1-4788-B2EB-49DD846CA7FD.jpeg

He could just be an easy going rabbit. The fact that he free roams, means he has lots of choices as to what he can choose to do if he wants. And if he has the choice to spend plenty of time with you, then he has companionship when he wants it.

But if you aren't able to spend much time with him or are still worried he's bored and could benefit from more companionship, you could find him a bunny friend to bond to him. A spayed female is usually the best match for a neutered male. Maybe try a local rescue that allows bunny dates, so you can find the right friend for him. Though, even having a bonded bunny companion, doesn't necessarily mean he'll be more active if he is just a naturally chill bun. It just means he'll always have a bunny friend there to chill along side him.

https://rabbitsindoors.weebly.com/bonding-bunnies.html
https://wabbitwiki.com/wiki/Bonding_rabbits_together

Thanks Jenny. I think I spend enough time with him most days. On Tuesday-Thursday a work in the city and it’s a long day (6.30am-7:30pm) so when I’m back I only spend about 30 mins actively playing with him but the other days I spend over 2 hours easily. I am hoping to bond him but I’m unsure if he will take to another bunny. I hope I am wrong but he just seems so independent and is a bit particular, like his things in a certain way 😂 but if I can find him a girlfriend I will.

he has only been neutered 2 weeks ago but I will be joining waiting lists for bonding in the meantime.

Thanks Jenny. I think I spend enough time with him most days. On Tuesday-Thursday a work in the city and it’s a long day (6.30am-7:30pm) so when I’m back I only spend about 30 mins actively playing with him but the other days I spend over 2 hours easily. I am hoping to bond him but I’m unsure if he will take to another bunny. I hope I am wrong but he just seems so independent and is a bit particular, like his things in a certain way 😂 but if I can find him a girlfriend I will.

he has only been neutered 2 weeks ago but I will be joining waiting lists for bonding in the meantime.
As another posted said he could just be a really calm rabbit, if you aren't seeing any other sign of neurological issues since you said he had to be resuscitated. Im sure you have already tried it, but all kinds different toys, toilet paper rolls, cardboard, you could try bunny play dates if you can find others around you, or go the adoption route if you have the time to bond them, or if the rescue could help with the process as some will offer to help so they don't get bunnies dropped back off since they didnt bond. Whatever route you go, I hope it all works out :) Cute bun :)

Latest posts

Back