Working with rabbits on being held

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Remmy

Reaction score
It's been just over a month since I brought my first bun home and she is just a social butterfly. She can be timid at first to new people, but she loves to be where everyone is at all times. She also loves to be pet and given attention. However, little Remmy HATES being held, even for a second. Which is understandable, she IS a rabbit. But the problem is, until I get the new cage for her (ordered it today), I have to pick her up to get her out of the cage I have right now. Well today I had left the door to the room open because Remmy was going into her playpen instead of getting free access to the whole room. Everything was going fine until she started squirming around and jumped out of my arms. I totally lost it! I probably scared the crap out of her, but I threw myself onto the floor and swooped her up because she was running straight to the door! And outside that door is a big pitbull/Rottweiler mix! (who I have no idea how she'd react to Remmy, but she usually tries to hunt squrriels and chipmunks outside, so I'd doubt Remmy would receive a friendly welcoming). Not only that, but outside the room where she stays is NOT rabbit proofed; lots of cords to chew on, lots of places to HIDE. So yeah, needless to say I was freaking out when she jumped out of my arms. But I was able to immediately snatch her back up and get her into the play pen, THANK GOD. So needless to say, I really need to work with her on being held some. But how do I go about doing that? Any suggestions would be great! (Especially since its almost time for her first nail trimming according to my scratched up arms!)

- From someone who has two big bruises on her knees to save her buns life

Eurgh it's a pain. Alfie has been with me for about 7 months ish now and still hate being picked up. It's just perseverance I'm afraid...and lots of scratched arms. I try to pick Alfie up at some point most days to get him used to it. I'm at the stage now where once he is in my arms he is OK. I tend to hold him until he settles gently stroking the back of his head then get into a safe position on the floor and gradually loosen my grip so he knows he can go whenever he wants, it means the general experience is much more positive than me scrambling to get him on the ground without getting hurt. He sits with me for much longer now and can choose to get down whenever he likes. Just need to work on initially being picked up now...good luck

Hi Remmy. How old is your bun?
First, don't beat yourself up so much. Learn and move on. No matter the situation, I hold mine firmly if I am standing up. And until I get him safely to the floor, I must suffer whatever he dishes out. Scratches/nips/bites, squirms.
That said, try picking him up while you're sitting on the floor. Sit there for a half hour. Pick him up every 3 minutes for 10 seconds. (This is just a suggestion, mind you, not a formula. :) ) Hopefully a few days of that will acclimate him to being picked up in a safe place. Try placing your left arm under him (he's facing toward the left) and right arm around his front side and right hand covering his face, that may calm him a bit. I realize this is a tough position to get in when you're picking him up and out. Try not to be afraid, that makes him afraid. Fake it till you make it! Pick him up firmly with conviction, while cooing softly to him. And let us know how it goes.

MA

Yep, picking up with conviction is key. Do it like you mean it! Bunnies can sense when you're hesitant or unsure in your confidence, which will in turn make them nervous to be held. The other part of it is your rabbit learning to trust you. So the more confident you are, the better it goes (even if she squirms) and the more she'll trust you. Practice a lot, even when you don't need to take her in or out of her cage. Pick her up, hold her, and if she's struggling, wait until she's stopped for at least 10 seconds before setting her down. That way she learns that struggling doesn't give her the freedom she wants.

Bandit was just the same and now I can pick him up with no kicking etc (95% of the time, other times he's in a mood :p )

Right now I have two light lacerations on my right hand from bunny carries. For an extended carry, I like to have their front two paws over my shoulder with them looking backward from me as I walk.. I support their hind quarters in my left hand and use my right hand to hold them close to my body. From all I know, my previous bunnie and current bunnies are happy with this carry. The problem is setting them down. I have my hands behind their front legs, holding their chest, and as they approach ground, they start kicking. Hence I get scratched. I could use some advice on how to lower the little varmits to the ground without getting scratched!! I'm dealing with 3 and 1/2 month old Flemm rabbits. My previous bunny, as she approached her old age, had no problem at all about being panicked when carried. She nevertheless didn't like being picked up, she made a groaning sound when being picked up!

A couple of lacerations on my left wrist from a bunny sit down, after carry situation. One good thing is that the bunnies don't seem to have any later upset, about being picked up and sat down. They have a powerful instinct to NOT like to be picked up. Since my bunnies never get hurt with being picked up, and actually I think they like it when they know it's time to be back in the pen, there doesn't seem to be, as I said, any upset. After picking them up, they don't mind me approaching them again. The unhappiness of being picked up seems quickly forgotten for a rabbit..(assuming you don't hurt them).

Latest posts

Back