Wooly with a bloody nose!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mistyjr

Reaction score
Today was 88 degrees. I put frozen water bottles in all the bun's cages like always in the afternoon when feeding time is. This evening (7:30pm) I went out and took all the bottles out to re freeze them. And I noticed my REW Wooly Finch had a bloody nose. I touched it to see if it was wet. But It was dry. But she's was still panting, So I gave her another frozen bottle.

Why did she have a bloody nose?

The bloody nose is cause by additional blood flow to the surface areas of the skin to help cool the rabbit. Some of the delicate vessels in the nose may rupture, resulting in a bloody nose.

A fan can help to cool her by evaporating moisture from her respirations. The water bottles won't help an angora much unless she's in a small enough area for the water bottles to cool the air, and dry enough for the water to evaporate.

Aw, my poor Finchy. :(

Definatly put a fan in there, or bring her inside. Do you have air conditioning in your house?

It was 90 degrees today. I'm surprised that mine are ok right now!

We do have one but we havent put it in the house yet??

Do you think that this can happen to just the wooly breeds? ( lionheads/wooly),

I have noticed also that Momma Ariel the lionhead doe haves been having a runny nose maybe from this heat, That I have read on line.

It's getting cooler at the moment. But in the morning, I will put in a fan in the shed.

I heard something about putting a wet towel or something on the cages??

mistyjr wrote:
It's getting cooler at the moment. But in the morning, I will put in a fan in the shed.

I heard something about putting a wet towel or something on the cages??
The wet towel is a version of a "swamp cooler". In humid climates, it's not an effective cooling method because the moisture doesn't evaporate well. The wet towel is best used in conjunction with a fan.

Latest posts

Back