Wool mites

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Blabauve

Reaction score
My 1 year old english angora buck was neutered today. I've had him for about a week and haven't noticed mites but the vet said he has wool mites. I asked if ivomectin is the appropriate course of action and he said no. My question is what do others do to kill wool mites? And he has spent a lot of time with my cats - will they get the mites or are the mites species specific ?

Thanks!

Angora breeders use Ivermectin extensively for wool mites (some as often as once a week during show season). As with any medication, there is a chance of a reaction in rare cases. The mites seem to prefer the dense angora coats.

I think they're the same thing. The vet said they typically like to use revolution because it doesn't have to be used as often as ivomectin. But because I already have ivomec on hand we're going to try the ivomec for a few weeks. Sadly I didn't even know he had the mites! I was very relieved to hear my cats will not get this variety of mite. Our chickens had mites/lice at one time and I remember being paranoid the other pets would get them - but they seem to all be species specific. Anyways my rabbit is now neutered and will be getting ivomection once a week! Here's hoping it clears up the problem.

I know the shelter uses Revolution because it has fewer adverse effects as Ivermectin and a single dose usually clears them up. Ivermectin is cheaper and probably easier, though.

Latest posts

Back