Wood enclosures and chewing?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Critterfan87

Reaction score
Looking into various enclosures and so far I'm liking the style and sizing options of the wood hutches/coops that are commercially available better than any of the pure wire or plastic enclosures out there.
But I'm worried about chewing, is that often a problem with wood enclosures? Are there things one can do to mitigate the temptation to use the enclosure as a chew toy?

Depends on the rabbit as to whether or not they'll chew the wood of their cage. If there are other things to catch their interest, they may not (or may anyway :) ).

I've used corner beading to cover corners (which are more likely to get chewed).

On a couple side notes... what was the name of the rescue you were considering? Usually rescue websites will have photos of available rescues.

Also, not sure if you decided on indoor or outdoor housing but I thought I'd link 2 informative pinterest sites -- a "wall of fame" showing good bunny housing, and a "wall of shame" showing common but bad housing. They might give you more ideas (good options and what to avoid).
http://pinterest.com/catcatxx/rabbit-housing-wall-of-fame/

http://pinterest.com/catcatxx/rabbit-housing-wall-of-shame/

The rescue is Remembering Ruby Rabbit Rescue. Several people recommended it, even the rabbit breeder friend I'm also considering going with. I'm kind of leery of rescues though, some are really crazy and they tend to not like my other pets. I've so far only had good experiences with getting cats from shelters around here. They've actually got a few rabbits listed that have caught my eye, particularly one, Frank. If I was anywhere near ready for one, I'd be super tempted to inquire about him!
Are these kind of links okay? Sorry if not but this is Frank.
https://www.petfinder.com/rabbit/frank-44653564/id/idaho-falls/remembering-ruby-rabbit-rescue-id147/

I just screw a replaceable soft wood board inside of where they like to chew - which is the lower part of the hutch doors. They like looking out and gnawing away. Sometimes, then there's nothing for months.

O.M.G. Frank!! That one little white paw... I'm melting... he's too stinking cute (that link is fine to share here, by the way).

Some rescues can be SUPER picky and demanding, but many aren't... you just have to find the right one. We've got 4 cats, 4 rabbits, 10 society finches, 7 diamond doves, 2 sugar gliders and a turtle... the only things the rescue we adopted rabbits #3 and 4 from cared about was that a) we knew proper pet rabbit care and b) our landlords (my in-laws, thankfully) were ok with two new bunnies (they specifically needed to talk to my MIL on the phone to confirm that the adoption was ok with her). The HSPCA (who we adopted from previously) didn't even have those prerequisites. Oh, you want to impulse-adopt this adorable polish mix rabbit? Give us $30 and take him home. We'll see you tomorrow when you come back with your husband for two cats even though you were only planning to get one.

I also had one that managed to chew bits from a plastic cage even though he was only ever in it overnight. It was really thick robust plastic too! He worried me to death! With plastic it was hard to fix anything over the areas he chewed. I got him into a wooden shed after that. He still chewed at certain areas but it didn't worry me so much and it was easier to fix. I think it's safer to assume they will chew, but you might be lucky and find he doesn't bother much.

Latest posts

Back