Won't stop thumping at night!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LopJupiter

Reaction score
Hi, I've had Jupiter for about 5 years he's 6 and he's gotten to a point where his behavior has changed so much and I don't know what to do.
He thumps so much throughout the night.
He trained me good with his thumping by giving him treats when he acts up at 2am! Now he won't stop thumping! The environment isn't dangerous. It's literally when I'm going to bed and falling asleep. He is super loud about it. I used to "shh" him and he would stop but now he doesn't. He thumps till I find a way to get him on my bed and hold him to sooth him so he knows it's safe. Honestly I get so angry sometimes I lock him in his kennel until I wake up.
We've been friends for so long and moved a lot together due to my being in college but he's never acted this weird before. My mom rescued him from the humane society so he's fixed. I just recently took him for a check up and talked to the vet about this and he said he had a cold and gave me antibiotics but it seemed like a way to get money from me? I got his medicine and he ate it well. His diet also keeps changing because the pellets I usually get are no longer being stocked at the feeding store I go to.
I don't know what to do! Is it his food? Is it because of winter storms we're having? Please help!
Thank you for reading this.

it almost sounds like he is lonely, especially as he is thumping when you are sleeping and not paying attention to him. You mentioned you've moved around a lot. Have you moved recently? Perhaps the owners before you had a dog and it's scent is still there...? You mentioned you're in college, have you been spending less time with him? I know how busy it can be when you're in school.

Not sure about the cold, as rabbits don't get colds, they get what is called "snuffles". What kind of antibiotics did the vet give you? Not sure if that would be the cause of the thumping though, just wondering if the medication was legit for "snuffles". Did he have a runny nose or any other signs of cold like symptoms? Are his poops normal?

Sorry I can't be much more help. My only real thought is he is lonely and wants attention. One of my bunnies thumps for attention.
Anyone else have any ideas?

Definitely sounds like thumping for attention, especially if you get up and give him treats/cuddles in response!
I also agree that rabbits don’t get colds, and just giving out antibiotics willy nilly is the sign of a vet that doesn’t know what they are talking about. What was the medication?

My Leo is 3 months now and he did first time about a week ago when he tried to mate Smokey while I was cleaning their cages but I had to stop it and since then they are unable to see each other he was very upset and started that thumping. Now he does sometimes when he is feeling alone. He's a very friendly rabbit and loves attention. He also started rattling the cage after that, I can't wait when I can finally let him free roam in my apartment. Was funny, when he did first time, Fred, an adult rescued rabbit in the other cage about two metres from Leo's cage, did too. I don't know why, he's a very relaxed rabbit and never asking for attention, looks like food is the most important thing to him, I even thought he's fixed, but not sure now as he has testicles.

I don't react when Leo does it just giving him some attention a bit later when he stopped. But the whole thing is so funny, seriously :)

He's stopped jumping on my bed for attention. Or letting me give him attention.
So I try to go to him for attention and he gets scared and runs in his kennel. He's free roamed unless I fence him in. He used to love cuddling so much but now he just doesn't like anything. He'll crawl up to me for attention but when I put my hand out to pet him he runs away. I'll lay on the floor and he lets me pet him.
But I'd rather not have to be on the flyer to give him attention. How do I get him to start jumping on my bed again?

It could be that he's lonely. I am really busy because I go to school full time and work.
I think the vet said snuffles the medicine was pink and liquid. He's the only rabbit vet in my area. I didn't give him the entirety of their recommended bottle just until he seemed to be relaxed again.

Sounds like you need some time to rebond with him as you aren’t home very often. If you are away a lot and he doesn’t cope being alone very well it might be worth thinking about getting him a friend? Can also try not petting him when he comes up, but offering a tasty treat instead, as sometimes a big hand coming at them can be scary! Also sometimes a change in behaviour like this can indeed be a health issue, so you could look for a better rabbit vet for a proper check over.
For future reference whenever giving an animal antibiotics (or yourself!) make sure you finish the course, as it is more dangerous to finish early - this just leaves resistant bacteria behind, and what is leading to the global antimicrobial resistance crisis! You have to continue the medication past when symptoms cease.

I've been considering getting Jim a friend. There's a two year old female lop at the humane society he's from. But that seems like it would be difficult to manage two bunnies.
I have gotten him a friend before and he was very aggressive and kept trying to mount her.. a lot. She did not respond well to it. I tried bonding them by taking them on a car ride. I read online that it works. But that bunny wasn't fixed and from a FFA club at the high school.
If I get him a friend do they need seperate living quarters and separate litter boxes?

Latest posts

Back