Won't poop after spayed

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sunset_bun

Reaction score
Hello! So yesterday I had my bunny Candyfloss spayed, we took her to the vets early in the morning (around 8am) and we picked her up at around 2pm. They didn't tell us anything about how she was doing or if she had eaten they just told us how to care for her after so idk if she ate or pooped at the vets. One of the vets said "if she pukes, bring her back in" and that's a big red flag for me since rabbits can't puke but I'll give her the benefit of the doubt and say she probably got mixed up with dogs but it's still not very professional. Anyway, she's eating and drinking loads but no poop! She will only eat kale and grass and refuses everything else. We've given her pain medication as prescribed but it's been more than 24 hours now and I'm getting a bit worried. She has done 2 wees since we've gotten back and did them both in her litter box. We called the vet and she said that that's not normal and that we should bring her in tomorrow at around 3pm but that means that she wouldn't have pooped in like 3 days (if she doesn't poop before then). Is there anything I can do to help beforehand? I really don't want to loose her ♡

Also, we payed for them to cut her nails aswell and they cut her nails waaay too short! Her nails are all clear so they should have been able to see the veins but now all her nails are scabby. Is there any way I can help this, or do I just leave them to heal on their own?

Because they don't eat much that first day after surgery, it slows down their digestion. So it takes them getting back to normal eating levels, for their poops to gradually return to normal. If she's not eating a large pile of grass at this point, enough to be an adequate intake for the day, and especially by morning, then you'll need a syringe feeding mix from the vet to start syringe feeds.

Just keep an eye on the nails. As long as they're not bleeding then there's not much else that needs to be done.

I must say, your experience so far with this vet office isn't terribly encouraging.

Latest posts

Back