Wondering if this is normal?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I wash it by hand once a day (since they kick hay and poop and such into it and shed into it, etc.) and then fill it with fresh water. A couple times a week, I run it through the dishwasher to deep clean/sanitize it just to ensure that bacteria doesn't start to grow in there and that I didn't miss anything while hand-washing.

In general, rabbits tend to drink more from bowls than they do from bottles (though occasionally, there are rabbits who shun the bowl and only want a water bottle).
Thanks for the reminder! I've been cleaning Felix's cage appropriately for the past week, but it completely slipped my mind to properly clean his water bowl. Is it sanitary to put it in the dishwasher? I recall reading that pet objects shouldn't be cleaned in a kitchen sink, so just want to double-check. :}

Hrm, I've never heard that... though I can see how it's possible for a kitchen sink to be unsanitary if you've been working with raw foods recently and haven't thoroughly cleaned the sink since or something. I use Dawn dish soap, hot water and a fresh (as in brand new) sponge to hand-wash the waterers/food bowls for our rabbits and cats and never actually set the dishes down in the sink. I don't know of any reason not to run stuff through the dishwasher for an extra-thorough cleanse as long as the items are dishwasher proof and your dishwasher doesn't have a habit of leaving residue on stuff.

Thanks for all the replies guys, my bunny seems to be back to normal. Learned a lot about things i had no idea on.

We found shes infatuated with our kitchen rug, So weve been putting it on our hardwood living room floor until we get a throw rug and she goes nuts on it, binkying and running circles. She tries to jump around and not fall off the carpet... and her and the dog play king of the hill on the carpet as well, quite funny.

Thanks again.

Latest posts

Back