wondering about neutering...

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

whatever4andnomore

Reaction score
I have a Black male mini rex name Black Jack that is about 9months and I am taking him to the vet to be neutered on Wednesday. I am taking him a distance to a rabbit savy vet as the local vets do not treat rabbits. What I am concerned about is will neutering him change his personality. I have only had him for about 3 weeks and he is such a playful, fun lil guy. He isn't a cuddly bun, much prefering to get out and play. We have female rabbits, and he is starting to spray and exhibit other undesirable behaviors and it must be done. I just hope he doesnt loose his playfulness. Has anyone else had their rabbits undergo a personality change when got them "fixed?"

My buck Felix didn't change his personality at all after being neutered. :) My doe Clem went through a massive personality change as she became mature, but the spay itself didn't change her. :)

Good luck Black Jack!

Most of the time it doesn't change their personality too much, except for the better. However, there are a few instances of a rabbits personality changing for the worse. Whether that is due to the neuter/spay or just due to the stress of the being in the vet office, it's hard to know. I have neutered bucks that pretty much have the same personality as before, minus the hormonal behavior.

I have a few recommendations. Some vets want the rabbit left over night. I would recommend not doing this as it can be very stressful on a rabbit(especially if there are cats and dogs there too) and can be very frightening for them, and can cause problems for their recovery due to the stress. And I would try and drop them off at the latest possible time to limit the stress they are exposed to. I would also find out and try and ensure that they are not kept in the same room with dogs, as this can cause undue stress. Even though males don't usually need pain meds past the first day, I feel it is still a good idea to get enough for a few days, just in case you feel you need them. It's also good to have syringe feeding mix on hand just in case. Then when you have him home, keep him warm and keep encouraging him to eat. I've had the most success with leafy greens, but only if your bun is used to them. Also spend time with him, comforting him and petting him if he'll let you. It's what bonded rabbits will do when one is feeling unwell, and I think it will help aid in the recovery and help relieve any stress from the whole experience. And be prepared to spend 24-48 hours helping him recover.

Last edited:
I did have to postpone BJ's appointment due to my work schedule. But I thank everyone for their advice as it relieved my mind. I definately will be taking him to the vet within a couple weeks as he cannot be around the other bunnies (they are female) for various reasons. Thankfully the vet I am taking him to is expereinced with rabbits and I will be bringing him in the morning and picking him up in the evening as you recommended. I was also told to bring him his hay and/or pellets which makes sense since they have sensitive digestive systems, and BJ is fussy about his food.

Latest posts

Back