Wondering about 10 week old bunny

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Libby Canavan

Reaction score
I have had 2 other bunnies in my life but this was many years ago as a child (and then as a teen) and so my parents did most of the work with the first and the second it was a combined effort. Both were males and they were soooo very sweet.

We recently got a new bunny. This one is a girl. She’s 10 weeks old (approximately, at least that’s what her breeder said, but I have a feeling she may be a bit older.)

She’s generally a mush and very sweet. She settled in very quickly (within only a weekend) lol. She’s particularly a fan of my son - she always tries to sniffs him and crawls on him and on his lap. But she has nipped a few times gently (yes, I understand this is typical) and she is a BALL OF ENERGY. We’re starting to notice some sassiness. Nothing horrible.
She’s allowed to roam a LOT, except when we aren’t home. And she has her first very visit a week from today (since the vet that cares for rabbits at our favorite pet office is away on vacation.)

However, I’m interested in any tips that more experienced owners might have on good behavior reinforcement moving forward.

I'm glad you asked this question, my 9 week old female sounds just like yours. She's very nippy, very independent, and always on the move! I have no advice for you, as I'm in the same boat, but I think our bunny's personalities will change (maybe??...and hopefully for the better) after they are spayed and as they continue to mature. In the mean time I hope you get some good advice from the experts here. I need it too!

Yep exactly like you said butterscotch, spaying will generally improve all of that bad behaviour. My current rabbit was a demon when she was hormonal, I eventually had her spayed as she was having continuous false pregnancies, and I got a sweet cuddly bun in return. It really can help with that territorial and mating behaviour.

As she gets older she should get better, it would help if you fix her too, right now she is obviously to young. But you should reward good behave but never yell at a rabbit it makes it worse. It is kind of like a dog you reward good and if they do something bad they go in their cage or a "timeout". Females are much more territorial then males. Males tend to be a lot more laid back and females are the total opposite. I have both a male and female my female is about 17 ish weeks old and she went through that phase where she just wanted to run run run. I didn't fix either of my rabbits because I am going to breed them for my 4h project. She should get more mellow as she matures and if you fix her. She will still probably have her outbursts once in a while but it shouldn't happen to often. Hope this helps.

Latest posts

Back