Woke up to paralyzed bunny

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vrosi

Reaction score
I recently bought 2 male and 2 female one month-old bunnies. I gave one to my friend and i was left with 3 of them. That was just 2 days ago. I kept them in a nice cosey cage with food and water and once a day i let them go on a pile of hay and they did their bussines and fed themselves a little. This morning i went to check up on them and one of the females was laying o her side,which I found unusual. I picked her up and she tilted her head way back. I tried feeding her but she wouldn't eat nor drink. I tried gently tilting her head but she made a wierd loud noise and I immediately called the vet. I explained what happened and as soon as I finished he knew what it was. He said it was a nervous disorder and theres no hope for her. He said rodents often get it and I should isolate her and give her some water,beacause she would die soon.

I felt so helpless and powerless, it really struck me, and I didn't even have her for a long time. A few hours later she was out cold and I burried her in my yard. I didn't even have the guts to end her suffering like the vet suggested.

I guess I'm posting this because I don't have anyone else to turn to who would understand me like fellow rabbit lovers. I don't know whether I can prevent these two from getting it, but if you have any tips please do tell me. I did have a rabbit a long time ago but he was grown up and easy to take care of. These are a lot younger,and I have two now. I don't feed them grass or weeds only hay and their dry food, because they can only eat plant when they turn 3 months. So, again, please do not hesitate to commet. Any advice would help.

Last edited:
sorry to hear this. I can't offer any advice and have learnt the hard way in the past. I have a poorly bun at the mo which is why i'm on here. Do some more research but from what i can tell they are rather fragile these bun buns.

I'm not sure what happened to her, but sorry for your loss. Things do happen sometimes and yes they are very fragile.

I'm sorry you lost her. These things unfortunately happen. They were rather young to be away from their momma and that could indicate that whoever sold them/bred them isn't very rabbit savvy. You may want your remaining two looked over by a vet. (Some states don't even allow rabbits to be sold until they are at least 8 weeks of age.) None of this is your fault but could be that the prior owner just didn't know much about breeding rabbits or about rabbit health.

I just read through and realized that you said they were 1 month old. That's really young to be taken from the mother. I would make sure you have a really good rabbit pellet and your hay smells really fresh and also.... make sure the water is super clean. Like maybe even boil it to make sure there is no bacteria in it, or give them bottled water.

Latest posts

Back