Wire for the cage floor?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Someone mentioned wood shavings.....The reason animals shouldn't have pine or cedar shavings is because it emits chemicals when the animal urinates on it. It really is awful. I used to have hamsters and i found out then and due to research. :D

Thanks! I couldn’t remember the reason and couldn’t find it when I googled it! I’ll have to remember that in case that comes up again :p

^ Yes. Phenols are emitted from the shaving which can damage their respiratory system. Aspen shavings are considered safe and so are kiln-dried pine. Cedar is never safe. Pine that is not kiln-dried is not safe.

Having any loose bedding anywhere other than the litter box can confuse bunny as to where he should go potty.

In my country wired floor is forbidden to have in bunny cages and need to be solid floor. I use wood floor but did the mistake of not getting wood that can handle water, even though the whole floor it’s covered with a water resistance paper type.

The other outdoor bunny have a litter box in his hutch but he have a tray with a blanket on which I can pull out. His floor it’s made of a plastic tray. He’s litter trained and always go on the litter box or in the run. But his cage it’s tiny.

So I wouldn’t recommend a wired floor. Even with solid floor one of my bunnies manage to get sore paws.
I love your avatar, @Hermelin! :)

Wire floors can be good if the correct wire is used and an alternative material resting area is also provided. Not so good if inappropriate materials are used and/or the rabbit has no place to go for relief from the wire.

Best is 12 gauge galvanized after weld rabbit wire. If you can't get it, 14 gauge works in a pinch but is less durable over time.
Always provide a piece of plywood, an EZ Floor mat, or some other place for the bunny to get off the wire if they choose.
Don't use chicken wire, lightweight hardware cloth or anything that the bunny"s foot could get caught in.

My bunny is housed indoors so I wouldn't know, but I do know that wire bottom cages can hurt your bunny's feet. The only reason wire bottom cages were used, is because the bunnies weren't litter trained so the poop and pee fell right through their cage and into a tray underneath so the bunnies weren't living in their poop and for an easy cleanup. But if your bunny is litter trained, then you don't need wires on the bottom. If you do put wire on the bottom, put something else on top so it doesn't hurt your bunny's feet.:)

Yes, thank you. I'm planning to get already litter trained bunnies (hopefully).

Latest posts

Back