Wire Chewing

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dancing bunny

Reaction score
can somebody give us some advice on how to getour two bunnies to stop chewing on our wires? Also will ourtwo female bunnies fight until on is dead after a certain amount oftime? Do they need seperate cages/homes? If we get them fixedwill they still fight? They don't fight yet but we haved been told thatthey will by people how probably don't know too much about bunnies.They are both lopped earred.

Thank you

dancing bunny wrote:
can somebody give us some advice on how to get our two bunniesto stop chewing on our wires? Also will our two femalebunnies fight until on is dead after a certain amount oftime? Do they need seperate cages/homes? If we get them fixedwill they still fight? They don't fight yet but we haved been told thatthey will by people how probably don't know too much about bunnies.They are both lopped earred.

Thank you
After losing several thousands of dollars of electronics, I've figuredout the wire problem (Knock wood). I've covered them allup. Some have a hard clear plastic tubing that I had to sliceopen with a boxcutter, and I also found a coiled plastic type thatcomes already split. The bunny can't chew the hard clearplastic, but she loves the black coiled stuff, but its made her loseinterest in the real wire underneath. So for my flexiblemovable stuff like my mouse and keyboard wires, I'm using the latterand just lifting it out of reach when I'm not around.

Still working on the headset problem. (I always use a headsetwhen I'm talking on the phone, she can jump on my lap and sever it in asplit second). Phone wires are also a challenge, but I've gotthem raised off the floor out of her reach. I've also blockedoff access to the areas behind the computer desk and the stereo.

She's trained me well.

SAS

you cant stop them from doing it, you have to dolike Pipp did and cover them up.. we use the same stuff actually, clearPVC (i think) piping from a home hardware place.. :)

I second everything said about wires, the onlyway they'll stop chewing them is if they can't get to them. Likeeveryone else I learned the expensive way just how clever they are atworking out how to get wires:(:X.

Two does often have a very close bond especially if they've been brought up together.

Fighting is much less likely after they're spayed, mine had begun tohave the odd spat by the time I had them spayed at six months andhaven't fought since. If you do have them spayed make sure they're doneat the same time and are kept together afterwards. Ifthey'reseparated even for a short time bonding isoftenlost and it can take weeks or months to rebond :(.

Unbonded rabbits and sometimes bucks who used to be bonded but reachmaturity and get very aggressive/competitive can and sometimes do fightto the death, but it's unlikely to happen between bonded does.

There's no reason why they can't stay together happily :). Just makesure you don't separate them if you want them to stay friends. Ofcourse if they did start to fight badly that's different, but ifthey're together and spayed when they're old enough it's very unlikely:).

Kate

I also wrapped the wires in plastic tubing Ibought at Home Depot and sliced. I try to leave a few newspapers andtoys on the floor, too, as a distraction. They're usually moreinterested in shredding the papers or playing with the treat ball thanchewing the wires.:):):)

Latest posts

Back