Wire cage dangerous for rabbit?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gelly

Gelly
Reaction score
Hi!

I have a typical wire cage, typical of what a breeder would use. We picked up this cage from the breeder we got the bunny from. The cage had a wire ramp in it that I removed with pliers. Some of the wire on the cage has been scratched as a result and some of the metal “powder debris” may be on the cage surface. If he bites the wire cage, is it dangerous if he invests some?

Hope I’m making myself clear... I feel like this sounds more confusing than I want it too...

Basically, is the metal used for wire cages dangerous if ingested in small amounts? (As in the typical metal)

I’ve attached a picture. I have a mat and fleece on the bottom usually but was just cleaning it.IMG_1105.jpgIMG_1112.jpg

I don't think it should be a problem. I'd be more worried about the potential that the wire is left with sharp edges - as long as there are no sharp edges, I wouldn't worry about it. Looks like a nice cage.

I don't think it should be a problem. I'd be more worried about the potential that the wire is left with sharp edges - as long as there are no sharp edges, I wouldn't worry about it. Looks like a nice cage.
Ya it's a very well made cage but the ramp and the jump to get in was giving him bad sore hocks. We've tried everything to get rid of them so this was the next thing to try.

How would you recommend getting ridding of those sharp edges?

For sharp edges you can use a file to smooth them. I didn’t realize your rabbit had already been in the cage, so you should be fine. What breed is your rabbit?

For sharp edges you can use a file to smooth them. I didn’t realize your rabbit had already been in the cage, so you should be fine. What breed is your rabbit?
Thanks! He's a mini rex, on the small side. He's 6 mos. and about 2.2 pounds. His hocks are my headache. Always getting sore even with all the fleece.

If he keeps getting sore hocks because of the cage I would add some sort of padding and observe him to make sure he doesn’t chew or eat the new padding. If he does, I would suggest scrapping the wire bottom cage. Sore hocks leave rabbits very vulnerable to infection and uncomfortable

Latest posts

Back