Winter is here...

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I would be scared of the garage if a car is going in and out daily. I really think it's safer outside.

I used to buy a thick plastic sheeting and staple it around my hutches (using a staple gun) in the winter. That along with extra hay for bedding kept them warm (bunnies are okay with the cold but not the wind) I used to keep the hunches under trees in the summer (for shade)and move them to behind the garage for the winter to use the solid wall as a wind breaker.

Water bottles really don't cut it in the winter as they freeze. I found using Tupperware bowls as water dishes worked great because while they would freeze after a certain amount of time they wouldn't break trying to get the ice out at feeding time. In the winter I checked and changed out water twice a day. If its frozen it's no good to your bunny ;)

luvthempigs wrote:
I would be scared of the garage if a car is going in and out daily. I really think it's safer outside.

I used to buy a thick plastic sheeting and staple it around my hutches (using a staple gun) in the winter. That along with extra hay for bedding kept them warm (bunnies are okay with the cold but not the wind) I used to keep the hunches under trees in the summer (for shade)and move them to behind the garage for the winter to use the solid wall as a wind breaker.

Water bottles really don't cut it in the winter as they freeze. I found using Tupperware bowls as water dishes worked great because while they would freeze after a certain amount of time they wouldn't break trying to get the ice out at feeding time. In the winter I checked and changed out water twice a day. If its frozen it's no good to your bunny ;)

Agreed. We did the plastic sheeting from a roll on at the hardware store stapled on. But, I didn't do water dishes, but heated water bottles because i was too scared they would get wet in a dish and freeze as I have a friend who bred rabbits who had this happen.

I think I'll just buy a carbon monoxide detector tonight and see if it's safe in the garage. If it's not, I'll just keep them in my backyard and winter proof their hutches :)

Thanks for all the input!

as i stated before, a motor vehicle is NOT the only thing that produces carbon monoxide, please google it and you will find MANY common things kept in a garage produce carbon monoxide. i do think a detector is a good idea though. Please google carbon monoxide poisoning in animals and you will find a list of stuff to be watchful of. once you get that figured out, i think your bun will be fine in the garage.

Latest posts

Back