Willy the one eyed goldfish

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

katt

Reaction score
just had to say that i was way excited to find the perfect present for my roommate's 23rd birthday.

she is a fish keeper, has a tank at her boyfriends house.

tonight i found her a one eyed goldfish. felt so bad for him, that i brought him home, and she is completely in love with him.

i might try to get some photos tonight since he is in a bowl till he passes quarantine time, but will be going out to the BF's house tomorrow!

sorry, stupid katie had a dumb moment. moved this from the infirmary to let you hair down

it seems to have been one of those days lol

Congrats! Poor Goldie... :( Animals with disabilities really tug at my heartstrings.

Hopefully you can get a picture or two, I would love to see.

willy photos!

311pics035.jpg

311pics031.jpg

311pics022.jpg

awwwww poor willy, he seems happy enough though and he's a beautiful looking fish. It was kind of you to buy him as I bet alot of people would of passed him by due to his one eye. I still think he's cute though! and he can look forward to a great life with your roomate.

It's very sweet of you to have sympathy for the little fish, and I hope your friend has a good tank environment with other goldfish where he can grow up to be big and healthy. I have five disabled goldfish myself! :)

Do make sure he gets plenty of a high quality pelletted diet plus fresh foods, as I can see from the photos that he is underweight at present (hard to tell since fancies always look round, but trust me on this one); probably couldn't compete as well as his two eyed companions.

But... Does his QT bowl has a bubbler and filter? If not, he may not survive QT. :( Not to be rude, but a bowl is inappropriate even as temporary housing for a goldfish; ammonia builds up rapidly in small volumes, and the bowl's shape has poor surface area for oxygenation, and generally bowls don't or can't be filtered and aerated, both essentials for a goldfish. A good alternative for safer QT would be a wide, fairly shallow storage bin with a filter and bubbler. If you do keep him in a bowl, please get a bubbler for the 2+ week period he'll have to be QT'd n there, and test your water parameters every day. Change the water the second you see ammonia of any reading above 0.

Let me know if you need a goldfish care sheet to help you with his care during the QT period.

RandomWiktor wrote:
It's very sweet of you to have sympathy for the little fish, and I hope your friend has a good tank environment with other goldfish where he can grow up to be big and healthy. I have five disabled goldfish myself! :)

Do make sure he gets plenty of a high quality pelletted diet plus fresh foods, as I can see from the photos that he is underweight at present (hard to tell since fancies always look round, but trust me on this one); probably couldn't compete as well as his two eyed companions.

But... Does his QT bowl has a bubbler and filter? If not, he may not survive QT. :( Not to be rude, but a bowl is inappropriate even as temporary housing for a goldfish; ammonia builds up rapidly in small volumes, and the bowl's shape has poor surface area for oxygenation, and generally bowls don't or can't be filtered and aerated, both essentials for a goldfish. A good alternative for safer QT would be a wide, fairly shallow storage bin with a filter and bubbler. If you do keep him in a bowl, please get a bubbler for the 2+ week period he'll have to be QT'd n there, and test your water parameters every day. Change the water the second you see ammonia of any reading above 0.

Let me know if you need a goldfish care sheet to help you with his care during the QT period.

thanks for the info! he will be getting a bubbler. i didn't want to buy another as i had one at my parents house. my mom is bringing it into work with her today and i am picking it up. so no worries, also he will be changing containers. this is just until he gets out to my roommate's boyfriends house. i don't know for sure what kind of container, but i was told there was another one.

and yeah, i can tell he is underweight just by looking at him. i was thinking about giving him a frozen (but thawed) pea. my old goldfish really liked to nibble at those. but wasn't sure as i have no idea if they are even okay for goldfish to eat. what kind of fresh food would you recommend? he seems very happy this morning, when i walked into the kitchen (were the bowl currently is) he came right up to the side to watch me with his eye.

like i said, he will be moving out to my roommate's boyfriends house were after quarantine he will join a 30 gal. tank with 2 other goldfish about his size (they are all rather small). she is hoping that by the end of this year she can upgrade them to a 50 gal. but as far as i know this will be the last fish to be added, so they will have lots of room to be spoiled.

and thanks everyone, the minutes i saw him, i knew that he would be coming home with me. and once jessica saw him, it was complete love at first sight!

You can definitely give him an F/T pea as a treat; he'll probably love it! You can also give some some of the same leafy greens as you give bunnies, though sometimes smaller goldies need them steamed/boiled because they have trouble biting off pieces (finely chopped works too). F/T blood worms and brine shrimp are a nice treat as well, and of course, a good quality goldfish pellet will give him some needed calories. :)

Sounds like he's going to an AWESOME home. Yay! I love hearing about well cared for goldfish :)

lol yeah fantailed goldfish are a love and passion of my roommate and mine. sadly i am terrible at keeping fish a live and therefore am not allowed to own them (except my beta fish, he seems to be thriving, although he is an old man from a petstore, so who knows how long he will live).

although i would LOVE to have another 30 gal setup with goldfish again in my house. i might try it again soon, but i just hate that all my fish seem to die no matter how much energy and time i put into them.

although i am set on getting at least a 20 gal tank to upgrade my beta to (he is in a 5 gal right now).

not to get off subject, you seem to know so much ren, if i move cornelius to a 20 gal tank, can i add any other fish to it? and if so, what kind? if not i don't really care, but i would love to try to add one or 2 other fish!

gorgeous fantail. They are my favorites. Had a pond when we live in CA but had to leave everybody behind when we moved--540 miles and nothing at this end set up to receive, plus some of the KOI were getting pretty big. Have been looking for a tank for inside though.

You could theorhetically add some buddies to your betta's tank, but it really depends on his personality; some do fine, some are MUCH too aggressive. Your best bet is to try some small, dull-colored, preferably bottom or middle dwelling schoolers. A lot of people have luck with a school of pygmy cories and a betta since the cories are peaceful, dull colored, and aren't up in the betta's preferred swimming spaces. Just make sure you have an appropriate social grouping if you go schooling.

Sounds like you have a lucky betta!

I'm on my way out but I'll post a link later to some info on tankmates for bettas :)

Jessyka wrote:
:( Something about fish tanks make me depressed. It's very weird, I know. But how sweet he is! So pretty. :)
its the tank/confinement,,i feel the same way about rabbits in cages/and outside in small cages,sincerely james waller:wave::rose::bunnydance::biggrin2:

thanks ren!

not to get way off subject, but here is a pic of my 5 gal betta tank

311pics043.jpg

311pics042.jpg

and one of Cornelius's butt, as that is the only part he would let me photograph, but he did blow me a couple bubbles while doing it lol

311pics047.jpg

so now before you say my betta is spoiled, you can tell me what I am doing wrong in my tank lol

oh, and thanks all, willy is doing good and is currently home at my roommate's BF's house. apparently he is just as in love with the one eyed fish as she is!

katt wrote:
willy photos!

311pics035.jpg

311pics031.jpg

311pics022.jpg
This is a bunny sight not a fish sight!!!

:tantrum::tantrum::tantrum::tantrum::tantrum::tantrum::tantrum::tantrum::tantrum::tantrum::tantrum::tantrum::tantrum::tantrum::tantrum::tantrum::tantrum::tantrum::nono:nono:nono:nono:nono:nono:rant::devil:pssd:

Latest posts

Back