Will work for food?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
So a friend of ours has been trying to get a job forever it seems. She was so excited when she was called for an interview at the local arcade...
She was even more excited when she got the job and went to fill out the forms.
That was a week ago and I saw her yesterday and asked her how it was going.
She says the work is back breaking and very long hours. One of her jobs is to disinfect every button on every game. We have been in that place once and it is hot and muggy in there....I asked her if it was minimum wage and her answer bothered me...She said "Well there not paying me but after my shift they let me pick something off the menu"....What the HECK!!!!!! All they serve is these gross sandwiches that not even Fraggles would eat.
I told her she should get the :beep: out of there....She said "Well if I do a good job the owner says she will start paying me and I really need the job".....OMG sounds like a scam to me...Opinions?

OMG! From the title I thought you were making a joke about making Fraggles work for food, not a real person! That is worse than apalling. I don't see how it can be legal. :(

Same here Brandy, I thought it was going to be a Fraggles thread as well!

That most definitely does not sound legal at all... Especially if she's working long hours for a sandwhich. Makes me wonder why she's doing it? Why spend all the hours there while you could be job hunting for something that will definitely be better?

It sounds like a scam.

She's certainly being taken advantage of. A $3 sandwich certainly isn't worth a day's work. Tell her not to hold out for this rip-off-artists promised pay.

If she's that desperate couldn't she work at McD or other fast food while she's looking? I would think they are always hiring and would at least give minimum wage.

It it doesn't last too long, it could be considered like an internship. But now she's got a little work experience, she should start looking for something better [ie anything that pays], but keep doing it until she finds something. or for another few weeks, whichever comes first.

Who takes a cleaning internship? I could see that if it were at a law firm, or something that takes specific skills. It sounds like this job just requires you to be desperate and willing to break your back.

Wow... That is crazy! And sounds very illegal! She should def go for a job at McDonalds or Something of the like... They always seem to be hiring and at least pay minimum wage, which isn't alot but certainly more than A SANDWICH! That just blows my mind! Wow...

MiniLopHop wrote:
Who takes a cleaning internship?.
Someone with no recent [ie in decades] work history, or none at all. Employers often reject out of hand, people who haven't worked in over a year.

Also people who aren't very bright, as volunteer work surely would be a better current reference.

Honestly....it's probably illegal. She can probably go to her local department of labor and deal with them. When they hired her did they discuss wages? Also if they are paying her with a sandwich.....really the worth of that sandwich will still be less than minimum wage for one hour. I think the owner found a sucker to come in and do her job for her and not pay her and she needs to report them. Does she have a time card and is there a printed schedule she can maybe photocopy so she can "keep track of when she works" so that she has proof of employment?

Scam. They'll use her as long as they can, and when(if) she starts demanding pay, they'll make some excuse to let her go. I've seen it happen.

I'm pretty sure here, the longest someone can do unpaid on the job training is seven days; I don't know about over there though.

Seriously, she is in effect getting paid nothing; those sandwiches are just getting thrown out at the end of the day, so she's really just eating out of the rubbish bin.

She needs to say you need to pay meor i can report you. Has she logged hours? Its very illegal for a liscenced budiness to do this. Though they can argue its volunteer. She can find better.

FYI, this is what being called "On the Job Training". Many businesses are doing this now and are being allowed to do this because of the state of the economy. You will see this kind of "training" pop up more and more, and not just in this type of business.

It's just like any other large or small corporation or company that gives you three to four weeks to prove yourself. This is nothing new. And I have to say I'm kind of glad it's coming back. There are more people out there with diplomas that have no clue on anything. And others with none of these certificates that have more good ideas than ever expected.

You shut one group of people out of the workforce for any reason, you loose your stability. And in this period of time, we have allowed this to happen to our work force.

Being a small business owner, I've seen many businesses survive and prosper with this program. You might think it's a scam, but sometimes it really works out well.

You now have to prove yourself. Diplomas and certificates are beginning to be looked at as just a piece of paper. And please, don't ask me about our education system.

It is what it is.

K:)

I have heard of a program where people who are on welfare take these kinds of unpaid positions, but they still get the welfare money. I think that is a totally different situation because they are still getting paid, just from a different source. I think that is a great idea for getting people active and sharpen their skills. Honestly I think it is great that they have to work for the welfare, it helps society as a whole as well as the individual.

It doesn't sound like this person is getting paid from any source other than food, which I think is wrong.

Personally in my work history I have taken temporary positions so I could prove myself. I suck at interviewing but I work hard, so it's a great way for me to get into a company. When I worked as a temp it has always turned into regular because I had that chance.

I dont think its right at all to not pay someone for working. Idc how stupid someone is. You dont do a good job you get fired. How are people supposed to support themselves with a non paying job? Not everyone can get financial aid rven if their living paycheck to paycheck or worse. It would ruin the economy more to not pay working people.

fuzz16 wrote:
I dont think its right at all to not pay someone for working. Idc how stupid someone is. You dont do a good job you get fired. How are people supposed to support themselves with a non paying job? Not everyone can get financial aid rven if their living paycheck to paycheck or worse. It would ruin the economy more to not pay working people.

But she is getting paid. The food is payment for her service. She's hoping that the food will turn into money once she proves herself. My husband travels all over for his work and he is seeing more and more signs of "will work for food".

When I was a single mom I worked two jobs...the idea of working for a sandwhich which would not sustain me, my daughter, my rent, or my gas to get to work, is not right. Maybe for some people they are at a last resort. but daycare was 500$ a week for two kids for just part time. thats almost what I made a week. It's not reasonable to think that someone can live and pay their other bills off a sandwhich a day. And the idea that it might turn to money is unrealistic...it's a huuuuge maybe. If the company wanted to pay her in food then why no give her something at least healthy, she cant live off of processed meat that may or may not be infected with lysteria among other things.

fuzz16 wrote:
When I was a single mom I worked two jobs...the idea of working for a sandwhich which would not sustain me, my daughter, my rent, or my gas to get to work, is not right. Maybe for some people they are at a last resort. but daycare was 500$ a week for two kids for just part time. thats almost what I made a week. It's not reasonable to think that someone can live and pay their other bills off a sandwhich a day. And the idea that it might turn to money is unrealistic...it's a huuuuge maybe. If the company wanted to pay her in food then why no give her something at least healthy, she cant live off of processed meat that may or may not be infected with lysteria among other things.

Unfortunately this is where we are headed. I give her credit foractually trying to do something. And hoping it does turn into something for her.

Just think,there a kids right out of college, will think it's better to stay on unemployment than look for a job, because it's easier, has more time for fun, and hey,can stay on it for2 years, I'd say that's worse. I've met several who think it's better to play golf and cards than actually look for work. They feel they are entitled to this. No one is entitled to anything. Give me that young girl's attitude any day.

Latest posts

Back