will two males always fight? advice on colony

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

en16649

Reaction score
hey there

I was wondering if two male bunnies will always fight? One of my "bucks" has turned out to be a doe - they're brothers, and at 9 weeks so far so good, but I know they can start to get a bit feisty with each other if not neutered. Ideally I'd like to keep them both desexed and use as studs for a small rabbitry, but I'm not sure if they can be housed together if this is the case. Currently they have heaps of room - a big 2 level hutch with a 2m run, so I could divide it up if they did start scrapping, but ideally they could share the larger space together.

On this note - do unspayed females start fighting too? I know they can sometimes get a bit territorial. The reason I ask is I'd just want the buns to be able to share as much room as possible together colony style (obviously separated by sex) but also I'd want everyone to get on.

The intact males will fight. You can't house them together. The females, if given enough space, can get along. There's a lot information about raising intact does together colony-style. I personally don't recommend it. Keeping them separate and off the ground allows for better sanitation, slower spread of disease, and easier record keeping. Coccidiosis tends to be a big problem in colony raised rabbits so keep an eye out for that.

We had 2 older males that got along very well--do mean older, past 8 years--they, however were the exception. Neuter 1st and then try to bond. If they are going to be used as breeders I'd separate before you get an expensive vet bill.

Latest posts

Back