Will rabbit abandon her babies if you move her nest ?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Oreo and cookie <3

Reaction score
Hi ! I have a lionhead mix dwarf rabbit. She is 6 months old and recently gave birth. It's her second litter. She gave birth in a very bad place which is really tight and also the babies can't stop moving out of the nest ending on the tiles floor so every now and then i have to check on them and put them back in the nest. I was worried that they might move out again when i'm not at home or sleeping. So i moved the nest in the cage, i put lot of hay and the mother's fur and placed the babies. I put the does in the cage for a few minutes for her to know the new location of her babies. But now i'm worried if i did the right choice as i'm scared that she might abandon her babies because i moved the nest or touched them. I'm also not sur if i should put her in the cage during the night to make sure she feeds the babies because the first time she didn't fed her babies and i had to handbottle fed them unfortnately all of them died so i hope the second litter will survive. I'm really really scared she will abandon her babies , i don't know if i should put the nest where it was ?

A lot of times the milk doesn't come in until 24 hours after birth. How long did you give her until you took the babies away? Did you intentionally breed her the first time? She should have not been bred intentionally before 6 months old and this could be why she didn't take care of them. Also, there are very few times you will actually see her feed them. Can I see her set up? She needs to be with babies at all times she can get out for playtime if she choses but don't be picking her up as her nipples are probably sore. It's not going to make her abandon her babies if you move the nest or touch them. Actually, you need to be getting them out everyday and checking them for full bellies and making sure their bums are clean and that there are no deformities.

Thank you so much for your reply. Actually for the first litter i was shocked that she gave birth. I didn't even knew she was pregnant , i already neuteured the male almost 1 month ago to make sure she doesn't become pregnant again. I think since it was her first time she didn't knew what to do. I put her in the cage but she is chewing the cage grid and try to get out of the cage i eventually opened the door and she lop and relax. I don't exactly know how to upload the photo i tried one time but couldn't because the file was too big if you have an instagram account or facebook could you send me your username so i could send the photos ? Sorry if i'm asking too much i'm really sorry and thank you a lot again. I also didn't use a box because the last time i did she almost killed her baby by smashing it i heard a high pitched scream from the babies. I put some blanket around the cage and a cardboard at the back to make the inside of the nest dark.

It depends on the doe, but I move the nest all the time without problems (especially on first time does, who often have litters outside the nestbox)

Thank you for the reply. I noticed that when i was there she stayed sight view from the cage but just as i went out and she heard the sound of the door closing she ran to the cage. Well i didn't actually see her entering the cage but more like taking a glance in it. I hope she feeds them when there's no one there.

Latest posts

Back