Will previous humping behavior affect future bonding attempts

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chofamily

Reaction score
Rabbits are both neutered males, with the 4 month old longer than the 7 mo old; younger rabbit is a dwarf Hotot and other a Holland lop. They’re kept separate except for being cage neighbors, but the lop has gone to extremes to be by the Hotot. Sniffing thru the bars of their side-by-side cages is not enough for the Lop, Neither is lounging in the cushion bed I put next to the Hotot’s enclosure walls. The lop wants to be closer… The lop has jumped onto the top of the xl living world cage of the Hotot & climbed over in order to get to the Hotot’s private enclosure area. We close the Hotot’s cage door to protect him, but he’s also a Houdini & when he’s in his enclosure he’s defied odds, climbing & jumping to freedom. (We haven’t gotten 4’ enclosure walls yet…) this leads to the bunnies sharing immediate space, & the Lop humping the little dwarf. I don’t think the little dwarf knows what is going on, but I don’t want him to be harassed, and I’m embarrassed that the normally chillax lop is being so aggressive. I’ve reiterated to the family that we have to be diligent in keeping them separate, hoping the behavior will cease & they’ll bond. But, my concern is that the Lop will recall this behavior, and it’s ruined any chances of them becoming bonded bunny friends, even in the next 8 weeks. What is your thoughts on future bonding success? Should we move the Hotot’s cage & enclosure so their in separate rooms, completely out of sight? Or will the lop smell the Hotot & seek him out, now that he’s gotten a taste of a sexual behavior? Any advice is appreciated.

Last edited by a moderator:
If it's been less than 6-8 weeks since your lop was neutered, he's still hormonal and wanting to mate. His aggressive hormonal humping behavior isn't very likely to carry over once those hormones fade, so isn't likely to affect his ability to bond with your hotot(though dominance humping will still usually occur even without the hormones, but to a much lesser extent). But his persistent humping behavior while still hormonal, could cause your hotot to react negatively if pushed to the point of fear or irritation. And if a real fight were to break out, yes this could affect future bonding success, or even result in very serious injuries.

If you can't prevent your lop from getting to your hotot, it would be best to move your hotot to a separate area where your lop won't be able to get into your hotot's enclosure. Or until you get your taller pen panels to ensure they stay separate until the hormones have faded and they're ready to be officially bonded, it would be better to keep your hotot safely secured in his cage. It's not ideal, but far better than a full out fight breaking out.

Latest posts

Back