Will my rabbit remember me?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hikari

Reaction score
Hello! This is a strange question but do rabbits remember their owners? Will they eventually forget an owner if they dont see them often? I'm asking because soon I'll be leaving for university and sadly leaving my bunny behind with my family. I knew this would eventually happen. When I accepted my university offer I didn't have my bunny and never expected that I would. However, many months later after finalizing my decision to go to a far away university we got a rabbit. It was unexpected because my mom has never liked pets or animals and has always been against them. But her brother, my uncle, had just gotten a bunny and she quickly grew to like the idea of a family pet. My mom was hoping it would teach my younger brothers about responsibility and other morals. Yet even when we went to the pet store (dont worry they get all animals from a local shelter) I didn't expect that we would leave with a bunny. I wasnt against having a bunny, I had always wanted a pet, but neither of my brothers wanted to accept renposibilty for a pet. At the pet store my mother was quickly realizing that it may be a bad idea and became hesitant.
However soon enough we met the rabbits. Most of them were shy and didn't want to interact with us. But my bunny, Kari, approached me and sniffed my hand and somehow convinced me with that single gesture to take him home. So I motivated my mom and we took Kari home.
We adopted Kari on April 15 and since then I have grown very close to the bunny. It is clear that I'm his favourite owner because he runs up to me, follows me around and licks me all the time but doesn't do the same to my other family members. He still gets shy around new people and even my parents but is comfortable around me and my siblings. I know if I leave they will take good care of him and give him all the attention he needs. But I'm worried that if I leave he will forget me. I plan to visit every weekend (the drive is 4 hours) but I may not be able to. And I'm worried that over the next year he'll stop caring about me because I'll continuously be leaving. In a last minute attempt to stay home I applied for the university in my city but got waitlisted (meaning they didn't have any spots left for the program of my choice). I've done so my research over the past month on rabbit memories and emotions but there is no clear answer. So I was wondering if someone had gone through a similar experience. Sorry for the very long post I just felt like I had to vent. Thanks for the help!

I had to leave my rabbit for a month to visit my grandparents and when I got back, it was like I was never gone. I believe bunnies have unconditional love like most animals and your little bun should still remember you even if you don’t see it a lot. I wish you luck on college!!

I left for a year of uni, only coming home every couple of months, and my rabbit was still just as excited to see me when I came home :)

It's been a few years but I have a happy update for this post! First of all thank you all for reassuring me, leaving for university was really stressful and you guys helped alleviate that stress. I'm back home for the time being (because of quarantine, hope you are all safe and healthy) and happy to say my bunny definitely hasn't forgotten me. Over the past two years I would visit home every month or so, each time he was really excited to see me and wouldn't leave my side for the entire visit. I'm still pretty confident I'm his favourite human (seeing as he spends almost all of his time in my room). So to answer my own question, I think rabbits have excellent memories. He remembered who I was, what I looked like, and I think he recognizes my voice as well. Anyone who comes across this and is worrying over the same thing, I'm confident that as long as you have a bond with your bunny they will remember you. :)

Latest posts

Back