Will hay cause my washing machine a problem.

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The hay can get trapped in places from being washed off of bedding. It did in my old washer. Better to try to get as much hay off of them first, especially the very loose hay, before washing. And when done using the washer, thoroughly clean your washer to get any visibly trapped hay.

Buy yourself a cat or dog slicker brush. That's how I would get the excess fur and any hay, off my rabbits blankets before washing. It does a pretty good job of getting a lot of it off. It works best on fleece type fabrics, and not as well on smooth fabrics.

It can't be the self cleaning ones. I tried those and they didn't work. It has to be the ones with the bent metal tines, without plastic tips. I just got mine at walmart.

cat slicker brush

Buy yourself a cat or dog slicker brush. That's how I would get the excess fur and any hay, off my rabbits blankets before washing. It does a pretty good job of getting a lot of it off. It works best on fleece type fabrics, and not as well on smooth fabrics.

It can't be the self cleaning ones. I tried those and they didn't work. It has to be the ones with the bent metal tines, without plastic tips. I just got mine at walmart.

cat slicker brush
Yes, thank you, maybe a clothes brush.

I shake any of mine or bunnies blankets outside and then use a rubber brush over them. I also have a rubber brush broom I “sweep” the carpet before I vacuum. It’s insane all the fur it gets out as well as hay bits

There is hay on my own bed blankets (fleece).
Does anybody what this will do to my washing machine please.
I have found that the washing machine won’t really get all of the hay off and what it does get off gets stuck in the filter and causes drainage issues with the machine.

Like others have suggested, I brush fleece stuff first although I just use an old litter scoop or small handheld dustpan.

I shake any of mine or bunnies blankets outside and then use a rubber brush over them. I also have a rubber brush broom I “sweep” the carpet before I vacuum. It’s insane all the fur it gets out as well as hay bits
I don't have carpet, I've got floorboards so I suppose I'm lucky in that way.

For my bunnies things when needing to be washed, I have washings bags that trap them. While my own I will use slicker brush and the vacuum before washing ☺️

I just shake the hay out, you can also beat it out by hiting it like with a broom handle mop handle etc

Latest posts

Back