Will biting habit go away after neuter?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Darojati

Reaction score
Hey everyone,

We have recently adopted 1 year old buck about a week ago. The buck is not yet fixed and we plan to neuter him tomorrow (sunday). He recently started being aggressive a couple of days ago, bite my hand (twice) when i pet him and gave him food. He's been like that since then till now, so hyperactive and want to lunge and bite. He stays in a cage in the evening, and in a playpen during daytime.

We have a spayed doe at home, free-roam. The doe is very much interested with the buck, always goes near to the buck's cage and just sit there calmly. Mostly the doe asks for licks from the buck, still having the cage in between. The first week after the buck came, everything happened calmly, no aggression. But now everything is different, the buck thumps whenever the doe come altho doing nothing.. most likely territorial sign...?

Now the buck is very much active and aggressive, i'm quite concerned if this continues.

As we are going to neuter him tomorrow, i'd like to know whether by experience, any of you see that this biting behavior will go away after neutered? I read that this biting behavior is due to the hormone (territorial) and also because he got horny. Besides getting fixed, what else should we do to prevent/avoid/minimize this biting habit of the buck??

The thumping - not territorial. Most likely he's horny as hell, and frustrated and agitated with that carrot dangling in front of his nose. He really doesn't care if the doe is spayed or not.
That state of mind imo explains the biting as well. I would try to keep the doe out of sight until his hormone levels go somewhat down, or at least for a period to let him calm down. I never had a buck neutered, so others with on hand experience can say more, but it always dependson the individual character too. Can't tell when it's a good time to start bonding them, I tend to go by gut feeling with such tasks, and see how they do. Since your doe is spayed at least there is no need to wait at least 4 weeks after snip to avoid pregnancy.

The biting will subside after neutering and hormones have had a chance to die down, IF the behavior is primarily hormonal and not a learned behavioral problem and/or fear based behavior.

But also keep in mind that he hasn't been with you long and this is all a new environment, with a new rabbit for him to get used to as well. So part of his behavior could be due to territorial insecurity and being nervous being in a new place with another rabbit around. And for this, even after the neuter and at least 3-4 weeks for hormones to fade, you may need to work with him to help change the behavior.

https://rabbitsindoors.weebly.com/bonding-with-your-bunny.html
https://flashsplace.webs.com/bondingwithyourbunny.htm
http://wabbitwiki.com/wiki/Aggressive_rabbits

Latest posts

Back