Will a rabbit starve itself if food is available

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nat1234

Reaction score
Hi all
so basically i've posted about this wayyy back but for awhile my senior bun was eating 0 hay, he had some overgrown molars and both vets i took him too did not want to trim them due to his age and the fact they were not very bad
so i replaced hay strands with 100% hay pellets
recently i switched vets and now use the one my rescue uses, as a rabbit older than mine got a successful molar trim done
it's taken a few weeks but today he started eating a bit of hay (by no means as much as my other rabbit, but it was his first day)
so my question is could i take away the hay pellets completely? will he give in and eat the strands? should i cut back on veggies or pellets? or should i consider feeding veggies and pellets in the morning and that will serve as his only measured food so he only has the hay available for the rest of the day.

Whether he’s eating hay pellets or long strands, he’s still working his molars. I would hesitate to change the diet of an older rabbit too much. Any grass hay is good whether it’s strands, compressed, or something like orchard grass.

Latest posts

Back