Will a cardboard box work?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rozezzz

Reaction score
I have a rabbit that will be ready for kindling soon. This is my first litter. I was wondering if I could use a cardboard box for a meeting box for her? She is 15 pounds and daddy is 12. How big would the box have to be?

I personally wouldn't use a cardboard box. The cardboard would get wet and soiled :( Wet litter is really bad for kits. It may also get crushed with mother bun hopping in and out. She may also chew it.

I use wooden nesting boxes and fill them with hay, newspaper and shavings :)

Hope I helped - Goodluck!

It is best to use a metal or wooden nest box, which you can find for sale online or make your own (wooden). These are nice and heavy so that the doe can't accidentally (or on purpose) flip the box, tear it apart, etc.

I would hesitant to use a cardboard box, especially if this is the doe's first litter.

A regular rabbit nesting box is the best thing to use. You can find plans online for building one and they aren't hard to make. It should be a little bigger than the doe. This will give her enough room to turn around. Fill it with plenty of hay. In a pinch you could use a plastic tub but that's certainly not ideal for a first time mom.

Thank you so much :) it really helped, I was hesitant to use a cardboard box but I will make a wooden one asap

Latest posts

Back