Wildlife Shelter

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Spring

Reaction score
Hi everyone!

I have a wildlife shelter near me (45 minute walk, 20 minute bickride) and I was planning to see if I could maybe volunteer. I'm a little nervous because I'm pretty shy.. and I don't want them thinking I'm irresponsible because I'm thirteen and turn me down.. I'm not sure if there's an age or anything, so I'll find out tomorrow!

I wouldn't think they would turn down someone willing to help, would they? I don't know if I have enough knowledge or am not old enough or something.. I'll have to see! I'll be home alone mostly all summer, so if I can volounteer that would be great!

Is anyone envolved in wildlife or something here? I'm just wondering if there is an age, or if it depends :?.

Thanks! I'm pretty nervous!

I volunteered at a wildlife shelter over the winter when they didnt have much help. My advise is call first, dont be shy, and ask why days they would need you. You will have to take your parents up the first time because they will have to sign a waver if you are going to help with the animals. It really is a lot of fun, I worked with a mountain lion (he was a sweety), bobcat, and all kinds of birds of prey. They also had a rex rabbit and crazy amounts of rats (I love rats). Expect to do a lot of cleaning for them though and be willing to help with anything.

Good luck

Alright, well I looked all morning and I couldn't find any phone number.. so tomorrow I'll have to go down there and see. I'm excited, but I don't want to get my hopes up.

Wish me luck! :D

Good luck with everything!

*fingers crossed*

Good luck!

My friend worked at a dog boarding kennels (for when people are on holiday) when she was 13. Her job was to walk the dogs and feed them> I'm sure a sensible 13 year old woul dhave no probs getting a job. You're obviously very grown up for your age. You'll be fine I'm sure x

Well I'm heading out to go see in a couple of minutes.. I'm feeling a bit ofcuriousity and nervousness..

I'll have to see how it goes! :D

I just went. The lady said they aren't lookng for volounteers.. she was quite rude about it too..:?

Oh well. I'm a little disapointed.

Oh, I'm so sorry! Did you ask them to call you if they need anymore help? You must be so disappointed. Maybe there is another place that needs your help more than that one. Are there any other places where you can volunteer? I really hope you can find a place to help out.I'm sure there issome place out there that would love to have your help.

Well, when she said theyweren't looking forvolounteers, she went out the side door, so I just walked out of the building. No thanks anyways or anything :?.

Kind of annoying because my mom works almost full time, same with my dad so I'm mostly home alone. Unless I can ride my bike there or walk, I really can't go too much distance. I was thinking about doing this youth program at an SPCA maybe 30 minutes care ride, but I could probably only go there on an occasional Saturday.

Hi Spring,

You should try contacting the Small Animal Rescue of BC.

I'm fostering for them right now, and everyone is very friendly.

They can use volunteers who can help in lots of different ways, even just making signs for yard sales and other fund raisers.

They are very busy right now because of the big Richmond rabbit crisis, so it may take a bit to get back to you.

My advice would be to e-mail, post on the forum, and call a bunch of people. Some one will get back to you. I have to speak with one of the organizers soon about my fosters, so I'll mention that you are looking to volunteer somewhere.

http://www.smallanimalrescue.org

If you want help, you can PM me and I can give you my phone number :D

--Dawn

Hi! I asked my momabout it, and she said she didn't know. If you can, can you inform me if anything upcoming is going on? I'm sort of restricted because I'm under my mom's 'protective thumb' and she didn't want me dealing with someone I've only met online.I've talked to Lisa before about rescuing before. I was about to go see her rabbits, but I re-thought it because I wasn't %100 sure.

Thanks, but I think I might see about volounteering at the SPCA that's closest to me. It makes me feel helpless because I want to do something, but my mom always either doesn't have time, or thinks it's a waste of time.

Thanks again :).

Well, I've decided I'm going to phone the SPCA tomorrow to see about the youth program. I'd love to see what sort of rabbit program they have there. I'd also love if I could get envolved with them. Even if I just cleaned the cages and socialized with them it would make me feel fantastic. My mom said she'd drive me there maybe Mondays, Fridays, and maybe Saturdays.

I'm sort of excited :D.

Ok, I just got off the phone with someone with ths SPCA youth program. It's for 8-12 year olds and it's pretty much a camp. I said I was 13, and he said I'd have to phone again tomorrow and ask for this lady to talk with about actually volounteering. I'll have to phone again tomorrow.

Ughh.. I was so nervous I accidently said the "RCMP" instead of the "SPCA".. Gosh I feel like such a twit.. lol!

Aww, I know how you feel.

I would be wary of someone you've only spoken to online as well.

If you can get in with the local SPCA that might be a really good start for you.

I really enjoy SARS, but I am also living on my own now and can take in fosters. But I know they have lots of fundraisers all the time.

Check out on the website there's a link to their forum. You can see all the events and fundraisers they are planning, and if you can help out, then you can contact.

Good luck, I hope you find somewhere that will really appreciate you! I know I would if I had a shelter.

--Dawn

Thanks! I am looking into the Surrey SPCA. I have to phone Tiffany after 3:00pm tomorrow, so I'll see how it goes. I think I'm going to ask if I can mostly volounteer with the rabbits. I know minimum about dogs and cats, but I know enough to care for the rabbits they have currently (From the looks on petfinder, they have 9, but wasn't updated since january).

What I don't get, is they must not be too familar with rabbits, because two rabbits they have, ET and Alien it says they are "unspayed" to start with, male and female but must go together.. That made me take a second glance as well.. Wouldn't they breed if they had to go together? Or is it together seperate? I'm also worried that because I thought all animals from the SPCA had to be altered before they were adopted, some rabbits are not.

I'll have to see.I just hope they don't already have enough people working with the rabbits. If I can socialize with them, they might get friendlier and be better adoptable pets. I'm trying not to get my hopes up, but this is something I really want to do. It's just so hard, because I feel like my age is traping me in with something I would love to do.. I know a lot about rabbits and I feel I could really help out some of the buns in the SPCA... If I can only get a chance! :?.

I'll have to look into fostering for SARS when I'm a bit older. I asked my mom if I could foster already and she said "You couldn't handle giving it back to the adopted home" Or "You couldn't handle more responsiblity".

Thanks again!

Also, here's the website for the Surrey SPCA

http://www.petfinder.org/shelters/BC29.html

If they don't know much about rabbits, you could be a big help by becoming the on-site rabbit advocate/expert. Good luck with tommorow's phone call, I'm sure you'll be able to do a lot of good:)

Hmm.. I'm just wondering what I might say. I'm the kind of person that likes to plan things in advance ;).

I'm trying to figure out a way to say I know a bit about rabbits, but not sound like a braggy kid that wants to feel important, and for them to actually take me seriously. I don't even know if they need anyone to deal with the rabbits, but I guess I'll find out tomorrow.

I'm going to be so disspaointed if this doesn't work out. I'm trying not to get my hopes up too high, but I'm being positive :D.

Latest posts

Back