Wild Rabbit Nest

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RoseBun1

Reaction score
This last week I found a rabbit nest inside of our garden boxes. Now that I know it's there, and can watch it from the dinning room window, I see the mama coming and going. She usually sits in front of the box unless my kids are outside. You can see her in the pick. The nest is inside the box by that tall stake on the right. (Sorry for the quality. I took the picture through the window screen.)

My question is, how long will the kits stay in the nest? Right now it isn't a big deal, but I was planning on building two more boxes and prepping the boxes in the next week or so. I don't want to disturb them, but at some point I'll need to plant. At what point do you think I can safely till, etc., and have the babies be big enough to be gone?

Thanks.

IMG_20200406_115027.jpg

They will stay there until they are 3 weeks, and then they will move on. So cute!

Hi, is this kind of raised bed for gardening or something?

Kits open their eyes around day 10 and start hopping out the nest when they are 2 weeks but they are coming back and it would be best to leave them be until they are at least 4-6 weeks. Normally mother will nurse until they are 8 weeks old so they need mother's milk by then but can start eating hay/solid food when they are 3-4 weeks old. That is all my experience with home pet rabbits and there you have a wild rabbit so it can be different. I wouldn't touch until they are at least 6 weeks, or maybe they will leave by then.

It's so nice of you that you are trying not to disturb them, just watching from a distance

Latest posts

Back