Wild rabbit friend

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
We had a presumably male rabbit who lived under our shed for well over a year. I left fruit for him....I do not think he is still living or he lives somewhere else. There is a female rabbit who gave birth in my large flowerpot 3-4 weeks ago. She has been hanging around our backyard this last week and started hanging around the shed and deck which was the Male's place. Anyway the last 2 days when my Lucy (flemish) is in her exercise pen this female rabbit wants to be right by her. She sits right by the pen or near and seems extremely interested in my rabbit. They have touched noses and pawed at each other territorial. First of all I wondered if this is unusual. Secondly I wondered what I need to do to prevent ear mites, fleas, worms etc.? Very likely a wild rabbit would carry these things. I am a new rabbit owner. Lucy is 3 months old.

We had a presumably male rabbit who lived under our shed for well over a year. I left fruit for him....I do not think he is still living or he lives somewhere else. There is a female rabbit who gave birth in my large flowerpot 3-4 weeks ago. She has been hanging around our backyard this last week and started hanging around the shed and deck which was the Male's place. Anyway the last 2 days when my Lucy (flemish) is in her exercise pen this female rabbit wants to be right by her. She sits right by the pen or near and seems extremely interested in my rabbit. They have touched noses and pawed at each other territorial. First of all I wondered if this is unusual. Secondly I wondered what I need to do to prevent ear mites, fleas, worms etc.? Very likely a wild rabbit would carry these things. I am a new rabbit owner. Lucy is 3 months old.

You could try using diatomaceous earth. You can sprinkle it in her food and in the areas she plays. It kills fleas and i believe insects also. Its small pieces (powder) of fossilized algae and it cuts bugs up, but is too small to harm animals. We use it for our chickens. It is safe for rabbits too.

If you run a flea comb over her back and behind the ears you will catch any fleas before there's an issue. She probably can't get worms from casual contact. You could also ask your vet about a flea preventative if fleas are common in your area (we don't really get them in Montana), I know Triflexus is one that should be safe for an adult rabbit and prevents mites, fleas, ticks... Ask your vet and do internet research too. You should probably try to prevent interaction, especially if you are located outside of the US or Canada since there are a few diseases rabbits carry in the wild that aren't typically seen in North America.

The only way to prevent parasites is to prevent contact. And like mentioned, if you are outside North America (or even in certain parts of the US/Canada that have had recent RHD outbreaks), there may be contagious rabbit diseases like RHD and myxomatosis that you won't want your rabbit exposed to.

Otherwise you could ask your vet about a monthly treatment like Revolution/Stronghold (selamectin). It's really the only monthly mite/flea treatment safe for rabbits.
http://www.medirabbit.com/EN/Skin_diseases/Parasitic/fleas/Fleas.htm

We will be keeping her on our deck from now on. We live in Iowa in the suburbs. Lucy loved playing in the flower garden where we had her exercise pen. This morning I realized she had a chunk of her ear bitten. When I went to remove the pen I found out why...there was baby bunnies at the back of the pen right up to our house. I will probably just let her bunny run on her leash with me as well as be on our deck. I am going to get the flea preventive. Her ear is healing....poor thing:(

We will be keeping her on our deck from now on. We live in Iowa in the suburbs. Lucy loved playing in the flower garden where we had her exercise pen. This morning I realized she had a chunk of her ear bitten. When I went to remove the pen I found out why...there was baby bunnies at the back of the pen right up to our house. I will probably just let her bunny run on her leash with me as well as be on our deck. I am going to get the flea preventive. Her ear is healing....poor thing:(
I live in Iowa too 😁. So far RHDV2 has not spread to Iowa. I would just be careful with letting her associate with wild rabbits. I hope her ear gets better soon :(!!!!

Latest posts

Back