Wild rabbit attacks

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sabine

Reaction score
We have been having wild rabbits in our garden for the last few months. Initially I thought it was cute but was a bit worried about them carrying diseases to our domestic rabbits. Since one of our bucks got badly bitten in the nose and needed to be stitched up by the vet I don't find them as cute anymore.
I just went out a few minutes ago to see one wild rabbit hopping through the garden and everybun being really agitated. Another one of my bucks had also been bitten in the nose. I don't think he needs stitches but I am getting really worried about the situation + the vet bills are mounting up.
Someone recommended spraying ferret litter around the garden but that is somewhat hard to come by. Are there any other alternatives as I can't physically keep them out?

Try figure out what's attracting them. Do you have entire females? A tasty garden?

I'd try reinforcing your rabbits hutches, so they can't actually make contact through wire. Maybe wrapping more wire around, or something. And making sure your rabbits are vaccinated against whatever diseases you have over there.

The main trouble with something like ferret litter is whatever keeps them away, will also upset your buns. So it's a kinda tricky situation. :/

Reinforcing the runs with wire is a bit difficult as the runs are mobile. I change position every couple of days. I have three intact females and two intact bucks. The two bucks are the ones that stuck their noses out and got bitten.
We have the hutches protected with extra fencing at night but oddly enough most of the wild rabbit droppings I find outside Coco's and Magic's hutch (two approx 5 year old spayed ladies) Thankfully the wire on their hutch is rather fine mesh so they can't make direct contact. I may have to find a way to individually wrap the panels of their runs in wire so that I can still dismantle them quickly. Ideally I'd like to keep them out altogether as I am not too keen on them adding to the bunny poop in the garden.
My rabbits are vaccinated but I wonder if there are other things they can carry that you can't vaccinate against?

I should think that there would be other things that you may have to be concerned about, transfer of parasites, perhaps infection from the bite wound etc. I would do your best to wrap a finer mesh around the run. You could either attach a square individually to each panel so it can still be dismantled in the same manner, or just get one long roll and wrap it around the whole set-up.

They can carry external and internal parasites that you wouldn't want your buns to get. Internal parasites can definitely be picked up from the feces. In addition, sometimes even a vaccinated bun can catch the diseases and need treatment--the vacccine just makes it more likely that they will survive.

Latest posts

Back