Wild nest found with black+white+brown baby. Domestic?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Amaretti

Reaction score
I live in Ohio. Can wild rabbits be black white and brown, as opposed to the typical pure brown like usual?

some family found a bunny nest, with 2 normal brown babies dead outside the nest (unfortunately the dog might have gotten to it) And in the nest still is a baby with white ears, and black+brown on its face and body.
Can wild rabbits have this coloring By some weird rarity, or might this be a domestic rabbit, or possibly half domestic if someone dumped a rabbit and it found a wild date? Lol

Cottontails are the only wild rabbits in the US. They are genetically incapable of having baby rabbits with a domestic rabbit. Domestic rabbits originally come from Europe. So this must be a domestic rabbit with domestic babies.
I'd suggest calling a local rabbit rescue to see if they can take them.

Cottontails have an agouti coloring, which will have a darker blackish base coat under the brownish gray top coat. Cottontails will also usually have whitish fur on the belly, around the eyes, and inside the ears. Baby cottontails can appear to have a black coloring before the brown color comes in. They will also commonly have a white strip on the forehead that disappears as they get older. So depending on the exact coloring the baby has, it could still be a cottontail bunny.
https://www.giveshelter.org/assets/documents/Eastern_Cottontail_Reuniting_Instructions.pdf
Domestic rabbits normally build nests in burrows in the ground. Cottontails build nests in semi protected areas on the surface. If this nest is not in a burrow of some sort(even if a shallow one) but is on the surface, it's likely to be a cottontail nest.

Hubby had to ask if domestics come in agouti colors as he saw 3 abandoned rabbits on the "street" years ago. Seems very strange for the purported multi-colored bun to be an eastern cottontail. 'Though I got the call to help ID a leucistic bun found in a person's backyard; Harlequin and dutch shading with verifiable thin cottontail body frame.

I'm sad to learn that a dog killed and attacked the nestlings. Who has the baby now? Is there a local House Rabbit Society or knowledgeable, caring wildlife center nearby. Certain wildlife centers are less focused on lagomorphs, so I'd try to get in touch with a knowledgeable HRS educator first!

Latest posts

Back