Wild flowers

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sabine

Reaction score
I just checked the library on safe foods. I could find fruit, veg and herbs but nothing on wild flowers. I planted a border with wild flowers in the garden and I am wondering which I can feed to the buns.
Yhey include among others:

White Campion
Corn Chamomile
Corncockle
Cornflower
Corn Marygold
Field poppy
Mayweed

Where could I find a list on their value as a food source and of course their possible toxidity?

Sabine wrote:
I just checked the library on safe foods. I could find fruit, veg and herbs but nothing on wild flowers. I planted a border with wild flowers in the garden and I am wondering which I can feed to the buns.

White Campion
Corn Chamomile
Corncockle
Cornflower
Corn Marygold
Field poppy
Mayweed

Where could I find a list on their value as a food source and of course their possible toxidity?
i am sorry but i keep it simple,,i donot tempt- fate,,.there was a post some time ago whereas a fellow raised,,ate yellow japaleno peppers and was feeding the rabbit/oh..yea...sincerely james waller

Sabine wrote:

White Campion
Corn Chamomile
Corncockle
Cornflower
Corn Marygold
Field poppy
Mayweed

First off, try to get the scientific names of those plants. You'll need them to look them up, since plants can have different common names in different countries (I have no idea what half of those are myself), and more importantly, different plants can have the same common names, which can be very confusing.

http://www.medirabbit.com/EN/GI_diseases/Food/Toxic_plants_en.pdf has a list of toxic plants, with pictures.
http://www.calpoison.org/hcp/KNOW YOUR PLANTS-plant list for CPCS 09B.pdf has a list of safe and poisonous plants, but not geared to rabbits, just general.

Try also wikipedia, they often have good plant descriptions, and a list of poisonous plants. If you have a "native plant society" locally, or even gardeners society, they may be able to help, too. Same with local universities.

Finding food values of most ornamental plants is nearly impossible. If they aren't used for food, either for humans, or as animal feed, noone is going to bother to list their food values.

Better late than never, but from what I've read the Corn Chamomile is from the same genus as Stinking Chamomile, which is toxic to most domesticated animals. Corncockles and Poppies are also toxic. Mayweed is perfectly safe. I don't know about the other plants, but if that's a misspelling of Marigold then they're fine with those. The only safe species of Chamomile is Genus Chamaemelum.

If you fancy something that's really pretty looking and safe for both your bunnies and yourself try planting some Borage. It's a unique looking plant that has an amazing look to it and all parts of it are safe to eat. Just make sure you slice the leaves up before feeding to the bunnies first as they're stringy and can cause digestive issues if consumed whole.

Last edited:
ok a bit of a warning here if anyone goes by my saying that Mayweed is perfectly safe, I just discovered that the name Mayweed is often used to cover 2 genres of plants and 2 species including Corn Chamomile and Stinking Chamomile. I've been doing some research into the various types and so far Chamaemelum Nobile and Matricaria Chamomilla are used in herbal products including teas so I'm guessing these 2 are safe for rabbits. I'm working on a wiki for rabbit safe plants in the UK and doing loads of research to rule out which species are safe for rabbits and which are unsafe at http://rabbits-uk.wikia.com/

Latest posts

Back