Wild baby bunnies

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cephalacaudal

Reaction score
Mowing lawn ran over a nest.1 bunny looked fine but stopped breathing, #2 bunny dragging back legs, #3 cut about face. 2 & 3 alive, eyes open, #3 runs quickly, #2 moves but drags legs. Placed them back in nest, mama comes dusk & dawn.checked nest today bunnies ran out super fast the one dragging his legs under my deck. It was getting cold out afraid #2 would need warmth and more care. They wannted out of nest so got them out from under deck and put them in a box filled with thick layer paper towels and straw and brought them inside. Went to get them grass clippings and then I saw mama. It's dark out an cold. Afraid mama might give up looking for them now, thinking put them back in nest in morning but it'll be after dawn a bit. Afraid #2 with bad legs may not make it by his self with some care first. What to do, how to feed an water? Help!!

Wildlife here doesn't do anything. I put them in a box to keep them warm gave them grass clippings, it was like 34 degrees last night and their hole no bigger than a fist and they ran out of it. Super cold and windy today, will try to put #3 back for mom, she came out really late last night. #2, going to try rom with him, if he's spine is snapped wildlife would only put him down, I will work therapy on him to see if he can tolerate it and if it helps. I have an Angora so I know how to handle feeding and attending to her, just needed some tips for a wild baby. I'm a retired trauma nurse so I'm hoping my skills can do some good for him. Just was worried about eating and drinking part. I have 7 rescues dogs, had cow and sheep. Called wildlife on a fawn.we found injured, they never responded, so won't go there.

Already read that article but their not orphaned. I can't seem to get any advice on feeding and watering. I'm going to put them back, I just fear for the one who drags his legs if he gets out and I can't find him

Tried putting them back in their nest but all they wanted to do was jump out and run, we tried holding them in lightly by cupping hands over top of nest, so they decided to bit and wiggle out to run. So back in the box with softness on bottom, Timothy hay and ztraw. They wiggled under the straw, curled up together and stopped shaking. Their in my sunroom with covers around outside of box (it's a 3 season room so can get chilly at night) there's windows everywhere with lots of light, sun comes in in the morning, so tomorrow I'll fix up one of our small bunny cages, tiny doggie bed that's new, hay little milk starter, therapy for one little one who scoots really fast along. And God willing, they'll grow strong enough to be introduced to wild little bit before I can let them go in time. Calling my vet in morning just for back up advice and will just keep them safe and cared for.

Hi, if I were in your situation and I feel that I can save them with my experience I would try to catch their mama and would make a temporary enclosure for them all somewhere in a shed or in sheltered place anyways so she can continue nursing them. How old they could be can you take a pic of them? Older than 2-3 weeks if they were able to run out of nest anyway? If they are say 3 weeks and you could keep them all with their mama for another 2-3 weeks that would save them well maybe not all, the injured one might be dangerous to let go into the wild as he won't survive but maybe over a couple weeks he'll be fine.
You could keep it open after a few weeks when they are stronger so mama can go out and maybe they will go with her when they are ready

Or I would make a sheltered place for them and would give them hay, water and your rabbit food maybe if they are 2-3 weeks they will try eating it, for milk replacement if you could get CMR or goat milk and feed them by hand through syringe.

Also you could make a shelter over their nest possibly? to leave an open door for their mama so she can come and nurse them?

If you could take some pics would be easier to see your situation

Last edited:
Saw mom late last night as soon as she saw me she was gone, think it would be really hard to catch her but it's worth a try. Thanks.

Maybe you can just build a shelter over the nest like using cardboard boxes or something so she can come and nurse them for the next few weeks

I definitly would not try to catch mama. That's a wild animal, putting it in captivity with huge predators (we) around is an immense stress, would be surprised if caring for kits still would be on her mind then.

About putting them in the nest outside, if it isn't too late for that, I would try to warm up the nest before putting them in there, I don't know much about cottontails, but I would think that they recognize warmth easier than just by how it looks like.
I've read sometimes that sheltering the nest worked, like putting a low table over it.

Latest posts

Back