WHY WONT MY RABBIT LET ME PICK HER UP

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JAZZYJESS

Reaction score
I HAD TO GO OUT OF TOWN FOR 3 DAYS, WHEN WE PICKED THEM UP, BOTH BUNS SEEMED TO BE OK. BUT THE FOLLOWING DAY, 1 OF THE BUNNIES WOULD NOT ALLOW ME TO PICK HER UP. I LIVE IN AN APARTMENT AND SO I LET THEM RUN AROUND DURING THE DAY AND IN THE EVENING I PLACE THEM BACK IN THEIR CAGE. ANY REASON WHY SHE WONT LET ME PICK HER UP? SHE IS ALSO THUMPING AND HER AND THE OTHER BUNNY HAVE BEEN CHASING EACH OTHER AROUND. WHICH THEY DID BEFORE BUT IT STOPPED FOR AWHILE. THEY ARE 4MONTHS OLD AND HAVE BOTH BEEN TOGETHER SINCE THEY WERE BORN.

Hormones and also most bunnies don’t like being picked up. It’s something you will need to train them.

While before they had a baby bond and when hormones kick in they will become a bit grumpy and bossy. It’s the normal teenage period and they will decide who the dominant one.

I HAD TO GO OUT OF TOWN FOR 3 DAYS, WHEN WE PICKED THEM UP, BOTH BUNS SEEMED TO BE OK. BUT THE FOLLOWING DAY, 1 OF THE BUNNIES WOULD NOT ALLOW ME TO PICK HER UP. I LIVE IN AN APARTMENT AND SO I LET THEM RUN AROUND DURING THE DAY AND IN THE EVENING I PLACE THEM BACK IN THEIR CAGE. ANY REASON WHY SHE WONT LET ME PICK HER UP? SHE IS ALSO THUMPING AND HER AND THE OTHER BUNNY HAVE BEEN CHASING EACH OTHER AROUND. WHICH THEY DID BEFORE BUT IT STOPPED FOR AWHILE. THEY ARE 4MONTHS OLD AND HAVE BOTH BEEN TOGETHER SINCE THEY WERE BORN.
Rabbits are don't really like it pick uped.
Could you try just letting her going in cage?

You can use a travel cage or lure your bunnies to the cage. Myself just need to say a command or point towards the cage while saying my bunnies name and they will go where I point or tell them ☺ It’s easy teaching them.

You can use a travel cage or lure your bunnies to the cage. Myself just need to say a command or point towards the cage while saying my bunnies name and they will go where I point or tell them ☺ It’s easy teaching them.
Yeah , mine too

As been said, most rabbits don't like being picked up, some tolerate it when they are in the mood, but that's not a given.

Also, puberty is in full swing, that can be trying times, ask parents of teenagers. Just to make sure: this are both girls? Check it again, even if you think you're sure.
There will be some struggles for dominance, humping, some chasing, even tufts of fur flying. As long as there isn't a full out fight and their characters are compatible (like, not two full blown alphas) there are chances that they work out a hierachy, but keep an eye on it. That they grew up together isn't a gaurantee that they get along in the long run.

Also, your keyboard seems to be broken, makes it hard to read ;)

WOW! thank you everyone for your replies. they have had 1 or 2 fights with some chasing and fur flying, but we seperated them for a little bit, put them back together and they seemed ok and showed signs of cuddling and cleaning each other as well.
I didnt think leaving them for a few days would make a big difference, so maybe it is just the hormones. I am new to having bunnies, they are 4/5 months old and we were pretty sure they are both females, but we will check them again to make sure.
So if they are only 4 or 5 months old could it be hormones? I guess i just thought since they let us pick them up and hold them the last month or so that they would keep letting us, but i can understand if that may change.

Keep a close eye as those fights could intensify and if they do, you'll need to be there to stop them before they cause any serious injury. (They can inflict serious harm to each other.)

If there are any serious fights, you'll need to separate them until they can both be fixed. After they've healed they can be re-introduced and bonded at that time.

If they continue to get along, then that's fine too.

As for picking them up to put them in their cage -- bad idea. They only tolerate that when they are babies. They'll soon come to hate it and will resent you for forcing it (hurting your bond with them). Scroll down on the following link for tips on how to get them back in their cage:
https://rabbitsindoors.weebly.com/bonding-with-your-bunny.html

Keep a close eye as those fights could intensify and if they do, you'll need to be there to stop them before they cause any serious injury. (They can inflict serious harm to each other.)

If there are any serious fights, you'll need to separate them until they can both be fixed. After they've healed they can be re-introduced and bonded at that time.

If they continue to get along, then that's fine too.

As for picking them up to put them in their cage -- bad idea. They only tolerate that when they are babies. They'll soon come to hate it and will resent you for forcing it (hurting your bond with them). Scroll down on the following link for tips on how to get them back in their cage:
https://rabbitsindoors.weebly.com/bonding-with-your-bunny.html
This was a GREAT article!!! I am going to try this next time instead, this gave a lot of insight on bunny behavior. :)

Latest posts

Back