Why won’t my bunny go to his litter box???

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Athena

Reaction score
My bunny won’t use his litter box on his own he has one in his cage and in the living room and I have to put him in the litter box for him to go potty how can I get him to go on his own???

My rabbit kind of litter trained himself. In my opinion, and this is just my preference. My rabbits bed is shredded newspaper and he LOVES it. He hates to go potty in his bed and is very clean. He only likes to go potty on sawdust, so I bought a litter tray and put sawdust in it and it worked a treat! He now goes into his litter box without asking and he actually likes to do it! I’m very proud of him! I know it’s not always easy like that though so if you want to try my newspaper method you can, the ink in the newspaper is fine and it won’t harm your bun don’t worry. [emoji5]

What kind of thread? I love Richard Pryor!
Seriously though. Mine goes fine in his box but he always lays in it. The rest of the cage is a plastic bottom with hay spread out. Should I make another box with shredded paper?

It's not unusual for a rabbit to lay in his litter box. I top litter with hay and refresh that hay twice per day. So even if bunny lays in it, he isn't getting yucky. He's just laying on hay.

Some bunnies enjoy a box of shredded paper for digging in. Of course, he may decide it makes a good litter box too. Then you'll end up with (potentially) 2 litter boxes.

So I might as well put the hay inside the box with the loitter and save sweeping the cage once a week and just empty the box?

Thanks! Haha! Rabbit from Winnie The Pooh looking at a stinky box killed me! LOL

Back