Why the thumps?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

poopandpee

Reaction score
I've only let my buns in my room twice before months ago but stopped coz they go crazy in here. It seems everytime they know they are doing something naughty in my room
e.g. girl thumping once she gets under my bed (when I used to let them in here);
boy when he sneaks in my room if I've left the door open, I'm downstairs and I can hear him thumping and he continues to thump when I'm back in my room til I shoo him out.

I thought thumping is when they're angry?

Rabbits also thump when trying to get your attention or when they are scared. One of them thumping might be a way of warning the other rabbit that there is "danger." They also might just want you to give them some attention while they are in your room.

I thought thumping is when they're angry?

I would say it's more about being alarmed, agitated, unnerved, not sure about what to think about the situation. When mine are angry, they either hop away, or when they can't, they bite.

When they hide, and I'm trying to get them - good reason to thump. They don't know why I want to get them, and even when they do (time for brushing lose fur off) - anything trying to get at them rings a bell in prey animals.

I've only let my buns in my room twice before months ago but stopped coz they go crazy in here.
That might be the problem. They only went into your room twice so they probably aren’t used to it yet. As the others mentioned, it’s more likely they’re thumping because they sense danger or are just nervous. Maybe, if possible, try blocking off under your bed and dresser with pillows, blankets, etc. and see if they still thump. If they do, it’s probably because they’re still wary of your room. If they don’t, it might be something under the bed/dresser scaring them.
Do you let them out in other places or don’t let them out at all anymore? If you don’t let them out often, that could be why they go crazy, because they have a ton of pent up energy.

@Snowball+Belle - They free-roam downstairs for 15hrs and their bedroom is down there (upstairs is 3 bedrooms/1 bathroom). The boy sometimes runs up into my room when I'm downstairs doing something and forgot to close my door.

They go crazy as in hyper, digging the carpets, losing their minds, they binky and do zoomies in my room so I don't think they are afraid, just over excited.

Also as they're thumping, it's not like I'm trying to get them out, I'm doing nothing, I can hear him thumping when I'm downstairs.

I used to bring my girl up here before she was bonded (back in March). I made a towel/fleece pile for her to dig at in my room and she had the time of her life but she will pee everywhere as she was digging so I had to stop letting her in here to keep my sanity.

Thumping isn't just a sign of irritation or danger. Rabbits will also sometimes thump when they are extra excited or playing. When I've let my rabbits out to run around, some of them will do a thump pre or post zoomie, pre or post binky, while they are excitedly checking things out, and rabbits may also sometimes thump when they are excitedly awaiting you to feed them a treat.

I think it's just another way for them to get out that excited energy when they are playing or anxiously awaiting something. And since rabbit play is essentially them practicing the escape moves and quick reflexes they would normally use when in danger, it makes sense that they might also practice their thumping.

Latest posts

Back