Why isn't my doe making much milk?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Robbierabbit

Reaction score
My doe has kits but isn't making enough milk to feed all her kits so one has passed , we tried feeding kmr with whipping cream but she didn't make it .
I'm not sure why , please help

Sometimes it can take a couple days for the milk to come in fully. You can try to give her more calcium (for example, feeding her alfalfa hay) to try and get her to produce more milk. If I were you I would hold down the doe and let the babies nurse as often as possible

Sometimes it can take a couple days for the milk to come in fully. You can try to give her more calcium (for example, feeding her alfalfa hay) to try and get her to produce more milk. If I were you I would hold down the doe and let the babies nurse as often as possible
They are 7 days old and we were trying that but she's not producing milk and one died but we rescued it .

Are you free feeding the mom unlimited amounts of an alfafla based pellet? Have you checked the nipples for signs of mastitis?

Try feeding a tablespoon of Calf Manna daily, she should eat it like a treat and it will enhance milk flow. Oats can also help.

Are you free feeding the mom unlimited amounts of an alfafla based pellet? Have you checked the nipples for signs of mastitis?
Not alfalfa pellets , no , it's not my rabbit

Nursing does have higher protein and calcium requirements, so need an alfalfa based pellet/nugget that is higher in protein and calcium, given at unlimited(or close to) quantities. Nursing does often need at least 3 times the amount of food as a non nursing rabbit. So if the mom bun isn't getting an alfalfa based pellet, or isn't being fed enough of a high protein/high calcium pellet, this can be why the doe isn't producing enough milk.

Latest posts

Back