Why is my rabbit eating so much ?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Oreo and cookie <3

Reaction score
Hi ! I have a 6 months old female rabbit mix dwarf and lionhead , she gave birth 6 days ago to 7 kits. She is eating a lot recently like she can't stop eating. Everytime i see her she'll either be eating or laying down. I just wanted to know if this was normal because she has to feed her babies. Her poops have also become larger. I know i'm overreacting but i want to make sure my baby is fine and not sick or something. I also noticed that during the day when she was laying on her belly i was round and kinda big. I read that she may have gas so i gave her sort of a little massage. Thankfully her belly decreased a bit in size in the late afternoon. I haven't taken her weight yet but she has become fatter by just looking at her.
I just hope my oreo is fine (>д<).

Hi ! I have a 6 months old female rabbit mix dwarf and lionhead , she gave birth 6 days ago to 7 kits. She is eating a lot recently like she can't stop eating. Everytime i see her she'll either be eating or laying down. I just wanted to know if this was normal because she has to feed her babies. Her poops have also become larger. I know i'm overreacting but i want to make sure my baby is fine and not sick or something. I also noticed that during the day when she was laying on her belly i was round and kinda big. I read that she may have gas so i gave her sort of a little massage. Thankfully her belly decreased a bit in size in the late afternoon. I haven't taken her weight yet but she has become fatter by just looking at her.
I forgot to mention that she is also shaking/trembling when laying on her belly.

She's eating for 8 rabbits, that's hard work and takes time, do not restrict her intake, free feed her hay and double or triple her pellet ration. Nursing does don't get fat, they need a lot of energy. All that stuff fills her up of course, she also produces a lot of milk, so the impression that she's a little rounder and heavier might be right. Nothing to worry right now, as long as she's eating and pooping a lot.

Yes, this is normal and she should be eating more to keep up with milk production. I typically give extra pellets so they have enough for themselves and enough to produce milk. You can give some baby gas drops it's not going to hurt her or the babies. You can even give about a tablespoon of old fashioned oats if you think that she needs to produce more milk.

Thank you both for your response , i'm much reassured now. I was all worried for nothing. I gave her more pellets and provided her with unlimited food so whenever she's hungry she can eat her veggies and hay. I'll try to buy and give her baby gas drop. Thank you a lot again !

Latest posts

Back