Why is my rabbit eating his cecotrope poop?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Arloismybunny

Reaction score
I just got my rabbit! He’s been exploring his playpen for about 30 minutes now. But I noticed he is eating something that looks like his poop? It’s like a long poop? Idk how to explain it. Is he okay?

It is very likely cecotropes. Cecotropes are nutrient-packed poops that a rabbit eats directly from their bottom. They are long and it looks like a ton of tiny rabbit poos stuck together. Eating these are completely normal and essential for rabbits. It is basically the proteins from food he has eaten that he hasn’t absorbed yet. So don’t worry! It is normal!

It is very likely cecotropes. Cecotropes are nutrient-packed poops that a rabbit eats directly from their bottom. They are long and it looks like a ton of tiny rabbit poos stuck together. Eating these are completely normal and essential for rabbits. It is basically the proteins from food he has eaten that he hasn’t absorbed yet. So don’t worry! It is normal!
Thank you so much! I figured it was that since he keeps putting his mouth by his private area and then I see him chewing something. I think he dropped at piece of it and might have steeped on it since it’s kinda squished. I just wanted to make sure that he was ok!!

I got a new bunny a few hours ago. He’s still adjusting to his new environment but I do have company over and they are making a lot of noise even though I’ve repeatedly told them to be quiet. Anyways my new bunny keeps eating his cecotropes constantly. I’m worried. Why is he eating so much of it?? HELP! *also I told my cousins to go upstairs so he’s able to have to downstairs to himself, but they are still be loud*

He's just redigesting his grapevine-like poops. Be worried when he doesn't do that often. Finding them every now and then is one thing, but he stops eating them all together, it becomes a problem. I learned this when I noticed those kinds of dropping the second day I had mine.
Why Do Rabbits Eat Their Own Poop? (bunnylady.com)

I got a new bunny a few hours ago. He’s still adjusting to his new environment but I do have company over and they are making a lot of noise even though I’ve repeatedly told them to be quiet. Anyways my new bunny keeps eating his cecotropes constantly. I’m worried. Why is he eating so much of it?? HELP! *also I told my cousins to go upstairs so he’s able to have to downstairs to himself, but they are still be loud*
Hi, he will eat his cecals all the time, a few times a day, this is what he needs to do. Normally you don't see them because he will be eating them straight away, if you see them it can indicate that he is stressed (that would be normal if it's just first days in his new home) or overfeed with pellets or snacks, not eating enough hay or not feeling well. If you see too many of them around you should review his diet and try to feed properly, if continues after his diet was fixed you should take him to a rabbit-savvy vet so they could run some tests if he is healthy.

For now I wouldn't worry it is normal that he gets stressed or distracted from eating them in his new place.

Think of them as of vitamins, he needs to eat them all and will produce/eat them every day.

Latest posts

Back