Why is my Bunny Suddenly Chewing the Walls?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
So this is a totally new thing she has started doing over the last few days.

I always felt blessed to have bunnies that have not been destructive at all really and the only real casualty has been a west elm cushion and a couple of pillows.

We moved into this apartment about 10 days ago, with its freshly painted walls 😬. I noticed her chewing on a corner a couple of days ago and moved her away and sprayed it with a vinegar mix. Not only does that appear to not have put her off at all, but she has also gone to town on 3 or 4 other places around the apartment.

I’ll need to get some corner guards before she really does some damage, but why the new interest? She doesn’t go for wood, just the walls.

They have lots of toys, fresh willow sticks every couple of days, unlimited hay and a whole apartment to run around. They have never seemed happier, so not sure what this is about.

I've read that rabbits might sometimes do it because they are lacking in minerals. Which could make sense if she is going after gypsum board as it has minerals like calcium in it. At least in the US it does, not sure how it is in other countries.

The only way to see if it's that would be to try a mineral lick made for rabbits/small animals, increase her pellet amount, or add a little alfalfa hay into her diet(alfalfa is high in calcium and other minerals), and then see if it makes a difference. Though because she's an adult bun, if you try alfalfa hay, because it's high in calcium you'll need to be careful about how much you give and monitor her urine for signs of calcium issues(thick creamy urine, or sandy grit in the urine).

I will certainly give the mineral lick a try and increase her pellets a little to start with and see what effect that has. Thank you for the advice!

Latest posts

Back