Why is my bunny all of a sudden rude to me? Lol

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lauren8165

Lauren & Buns
Reaction score
Lately my rabbit tucks his head down when I go to pet him. If I move closer to him or start to pet further back on his head/body, he will tuck it further and further. I can't tell if he doesn't like it/scared or if he likes it. He has started to run when I go to pet him. He will throw his dish when I set it down for him. This is all coming out of nowhere. Up until 3-4 days ago, he LOVED me. Kisses all the time, running up for attention. I can't figure out what happened? ! The behavior started when I switched his pellet bowls to a dish that screws to the cage (same spot it was before. Pellets were getting everywhere ). Surely he wouldn't be that upset about a dish would he?

Some bunnies would be literally that upset over a dish. (Think of your favorite 'toy' whether it's a game station, a TV, a book, anything and imagine someone taking it away- you'd be pissed too! :p). If he's not neutered and going through hormonal changes, it may help to neuter him (it may not, just depends). How old is he?

Lol makes sense. He is my first bunny and I just got him recently, so i am learning everything as I go. He is about a year old and will be getting neutered.

It can be hard to say exactly what your bun is doing because it depends on what your rabbits other body language is. A rabbit putting it's head down can be a request for head rubs when the rabbit is relaxed and usually their eyes close. But a rabbit putting it's head down can also be from being nervous if the rabbit's body is tense and their eyes are usually very wide open or clenched shut. If you haven't checked this link out on rabbit body language, it's worth reading through.
http://language.rabbitspeak.com/

If he seems to be enjoying you petting him, then him scooting back as you move from petting his head to his back, could be him saying 'don't pet my back, pet my head instead'. None of my rabbits like me petting along their backs much and will usually move away if I do it, but they love their head rubs.

If he doesn't seem as affectionate, it could be the hormones and him maturing, though usually boy buns hormones will make them more affectionate, not less. Or it could be he got spooked by something or offended at something insignificant(like changing his food dish). Rabbits really can be fickle little things and even the smallest seemingly inconsequential thing can upset them and leave you(the caretaker) in the dog house until you make up for it with lots of tasty treats :p

It is so funny that you say that, because I ended up taking the bowl down and giving him back his old dish, then he almost immediately went back to being happy again. It is so funny that rabbits can hold a grudge.

I was just about to give another update. Y'all...it was DEFINITELY a grudge about moving his dish. He is 100% back to normal if not even happier amd sweeter than before (it could be because he know knows without a doubt that he is the boss around here lol)

Again, thank you for your help. I learn so much from this forum and I am very grateful.

What you could do, if you're intent on the less messy bowl, is keep both bowls in his house, with the food divided between the two. Or just put his treats in the screw-on bowl. Make him see that the new bowl is a good thing, and I'm sure he'll warm up to it. ^_^

He doesn't really have a house. We started him out on a pretty large cage and he never went in it. He would always just go in a corner of my bedroom that has a dresser right beside it. He will go under the dresser when he wants to hide, but he stays in the corner all sprawled out for the most part. Lol. So he doesn't really have an actual cage.

Haha. It is so true. I don't know that I've ever had a pet that had me wrapped around its finger like this little guy does. They are too funny.

Latest posts

Back