Why is its fur doing this??

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bhoffman

Reaction score
So, my lion head kits are going to be 1 week old tomorrow! :) They are all looking fairly good except for two of them! This black one is the weirdest one though.

His fur seems like it is coming in quite nice on his/her back.. The fur on the hind legs and side looks like it either isn't coming in or it is super short? Not sure if this is a condition in kits, or I just have a really odd one?! The last litter that this doe had all three kits turned out wonderful. BUt, I have a new buck that I used this time. I was told he is a purebred lion head.

While it seems really weird that it is like this.. it is also kinda neat. As long as it isn't a health issue. Other than the fur, it seems perfectly fine.

I can't see the pictures very well, they are really small. But if these are Lionhead babies, it could be normal development. Their fur grows in differently than other breeds.

Yeah, I am not sure why they end up so small, I copied them from photobucket where they were a nice size. It seems allmy pictures are going small now. Anyways, yeah they are Lion head babies.. my last litter of lion heads didn't develop that way. Not sure what is going on, but thank you!! Hopefully their fur works out. I mean, they will be cute either way, but its just odd.

There are lots of "options" right now with Lionheads. There are some breeders who have worked very, very hard to see consistency in their herds. But they're also a very popular pet breed, which means that overall, they are still not breeding true. Right now, you'll find single-maned LH, double-maned LH, and everything in between (some will keep manes, some won't, etc.)

If the buck is new to you, the difference may just be in new genetics. If you're still noticing something odd around 6-8 weeks old, it could be caused by something else. But for now, I'm thinking it is probably just an odd stage of development.

Okay awesome! lol I think it is interesting watching the changes with these guys. I will definitely be keeping an eye on these three. I think in the other topic ( I accidently put this in a reply to my other topic and then started a new thread) wholookitsme said that it could possibly because they are double mained. The buck is fairly new to me. I will see how these ones are when they are older and then possibly try again next spring. I am done breeding now for this year. Time for a break. I bred my lion head twice in a row, so she needs a good long break before being bred again.

Thanks for the help and info. it is all super helpful!!

There are always going to be variations. When ours shed, some look like big dust balls, but Peter is unique--he's a 10 pound Chin, very gorgeous, and he starts from his belly and goes around to his back and ends with what looks like a Mohawk--a stripe of longer fur from his neck to his tail.

If you click on the photos they come up in normal size. I think you are copying and pasting the thumbnail option instead of the actual URL of the photos. He is very cute. Glad it is nothing serious.

Latest posts

Back