Why is bunny licking off hair and biting nails?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hello!

My two bunnies Teddy and Angel (both boys) have been living together for a month now, and it seems that Teddy is licking off all the hair around Angel's eyes.. anyone who has some tips to make it stop?

Another thing is also happening.. Teddy is biting on Angel's nails.. why does he do that?? They have plenty of toys to bite, and they are mostly running free the whole day, so I don't understand why Teddy does this.. Angel has a lot of bite marks on the nails on his backfeet

Biting: Our female does that to the front legs of the male daily. It's probably showing who is the boss.
Licking: Our male licks the female's eyes. The hair around the eyes become wet but that's it. (In your case, does he actually rip/eat it off?)

Hair: Teddy is just licking as in "cleaning" but he's so obsessive and does it so much that the hair just goes off.. I have never seen him pull Angel hair off like they sometimes do on each others backs

Biting: could it really be dominance? I'm just so afraid Teddy will bite so much that Angel bleeds.. because he is biting on the middle of the nail and not on the tip of the nail

In our case I'm not able to tell where she actually bites the nail, but it's probably similar to yours: somewhere in the middle. Right after biting, the male starts to lick it for himself. (No bleeding so far, and the bitings happen almost daily)

Then again the most important thing is your bunnies health so I don't want to call your post "undue alarm", if you are concerned about these actions, I suggest you contact a vet with rabbit experience.
(I'm only a bunny owner, 4 years now)

So funny how you say "undue alarm"... Don't see that I have raised any alarm, only curiosity.

Clearly you didn't read the first post very well... I simply wondered if anyone knows why they do this. In fact I have asked the vet and she didn't know.

Sorry, I meant no offense. I was only thinking using my views:

I only raise questions most of the time when I have some concern regarding a Rabbit behaviour. Where time is precious and I know that out of that habit that I yet do not understand something bad could happen, and I would need ideas to stop the habbit or I can safely ignore it.
When I find a habbit that I can safely conclude as "no harm can come from that", I don't ask anyone, I take my time to find it out together with my Rabbits why they are doing that.

Latest posts

Back