Why have my two bunny died.

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ab1

Reaction score
About five years ago I got given two bunnies a black and a white one who were brothers. They lived outside in a covered hutch with outside space. Over Christmas we went away for the night before we left I checked and fed the bunnies both were acting normal and eating fine. However when we returned the next day the black one was laying on its side and had died. This was upsetting and I felt bad for the white bunny so we bought a female bunny to keep him company and they seemed to get along well, she was around two years old. We’ve had her for around five months. Yesterday I noticed she was acting a bit slow but she was still eating and going to the toilet so I didn’t worry to much. This morning I checked on her and she was laying on her side and had passed. Once again the white bunny is complete fine. This is really upsetting and I feel bad for my white bunny cause he enjoys other rabbits company, I’m just wondering what could be the cause of these two deaths and if I could have avoided it.

Hello, welcome to the forum. I’m very sorry for your losses. Rabbit outside often can pass from the cold, seeing a predator or even things like myxomatosis. Was there any other symptoms when before they passed? Such as; not eating, drinking, pooping. Any sneezing, excess scratching?
I had a rabbit pass from seeing a predator and having a heart attack, or so we think.

Hello, thank you. I hope she didn’t die from the cold because we have a thermal cover over the hutch. She was eating, drinking and still going to the toilet. The only thing I can think of is her nose looked a little bit runny but it has been like that since we got her and the breeder.

It was just clear. I feel really terrible because it seems I’ve allowed two rabbits to die and I feel terrible for my remaining bunny because he will be lonely.

It wasn’t your fault, everyone makes mistakes, you just have to learn from them. Even so, it could just have happened. Could you bring your remaining rabbit inside? I’d also get him checked by a vet.

Thank you for your help. Yeah we are planning on bringing him in to hop around, unfortunately due the pandemic we can’t take him to the vet at the moment because they are only taking emergency appointments.

if My white bunny is checked and he’s all healthy would it be okay to get a new rabbit to keep him company because he prefers rabbits over humans?

As long as they are both healthy, i wouldn’t see a problem in it. Your rabbit will likely be quite depressed for the next few weeks because of the loss of his mates. So I’d give him extra attention. I’d also make sure that your set up is good. Could I see a picture? Also have they been vaccinated against Myxomatosis and RHD and RHD2?

they haven’t been vaccinated. This is there set up because it’s the summer we have been moving them up to the garden in the day. And that is my bunny he’s around five

Attachments

• 7F555615-F6C4-44E1-B4A7-4810BCBE8760.jpeg
    7F555615-F6C4-44E1-B4A7-4810BCBE8760.jpeg
    175.9 KB · Views: 10
  • 1B990999-DD16-485C-A6FF-6A202BAA0E1B.jpeg
    1B990999-DD16-485C-A6FF-6A202BAA0E1B.jpeg
    679 KB · Views: 10
  • AD72322D-7BDF-40F2-A4E9-1DC76A2387DD.jpeg
    AD72322D-7BDF-40F2-A4E9-1DC76A2387DD.jpeg
    347.8 KB · Views: 10
As long as they are both healthy, i wouldn’t see a problem in it. Your rabbit will likely be quite depressed for the next few weeks because of the loss of his mates. So I’d give him extra attention. I’d also make sure that your set up is good. Could I see a picture? Also have they been vaccinated against Myxomatosis and RHD and RHD2?
Yes, this! In the UK it is essential that bunnies get Nobivac and Filavac vaccinations each year. We can't know whether RVHD caused the deaths, you would need a post-mortem to find out. So sad.

I’m England, we have a disease, called Myxomatosis, which is deadly and so are RHD and RHD too. I’d get them vaccinated. It is pricey but it’s for their benefit. I don’t mean to sound condescending but PetsAtHome hutches aren’t suitable for rabbits. They are small and aren’t very weather proof or well-built. Examples of Suitable Housing

Because two sudden rabbit deaths occurred, though it can't be certain without the proper tests, rhd would be the most likely cause of death for both rabbits. Because the virus can persist in the environment, that puts any new rabbit you would get at risk, as well as the rabbit you have now. I would highly suggest that when possible, you take your rabbit in for the combi rhd/myxo vaccine and the rhd2 vaccine. Also follow the guidelines suggested for cleaning the environment and proper waiting period before bringing in a new rabbit. And when you decide it is time and safe to bring in a friend for your bun, make sure the new rabbit has had it's vaccinations and time to have developed immunity. So sorry for your loss and hopefully you can get this all worked out so he can once again have a bunny friend.
https://rabbitwelfare.co.uk/rabbit-health/rabbit-vhd/https://www.harcourt-brown.co.uk/owners/frequently-asked-questions/FAQRHD

Latest posts

Back