Why has my Holland Lop mama suddenly switched her bathroom corner?!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Happy Hollands

Reaction score
Hello all,
As some of you may be aware, I own a Holland Lop female who just gave birth to eight beautiful, healthy babies a few days ago! This is her second litter with me, and her fourth overall. About 2 weeks into her pregnancy, she started nesting early to the extent of dragging a towel into her so-called nest (her litter box). I assumed it might be a false pregnancy, as I had heard they nest extremely early when they are not actually pregnant. And I wasn't quite sure if she had "took" this time. She refused to use her litter pan as it's actually use, instead saving the hay pristine for her babies and pooping / peeing in other corners :( a little disclaimer - she ended up giving birth to the babies in the nest box NOT her litter box in the end... Silly girl.

Anyways, I figured this behavior could be tolerated with a pregnant doe and she would resume to her normal habits after this hormonal time. To anyone interested, her cage is 20 ft² custom built with vinyl flooring. Wire free all the way! Erg, she is still going to the bathroom in the opposite corner as her litter box! Keep in mind, on her last litter there was no type of behavior like this when she had five babies. This is extremely rare for both her and I!

I was wondering if you guys had any suggestions of how to help her go back to her old litter box corner - as I have a built-in litter box that I would really like to keep in that position. because she has newborn babies, I would like to avoid anything stress related such as making her cage smaller or anything new to her such as adding more litter boxes. Thank you guys so much! If you would like I can add some pictures of Mama and babies, upon request ;)

I've never known how to change a rabbits mind when it's set on something like that. You usually just have to adapt to them and give them a litter box where they've decided they want to pee. You can try cleaning the area thoroughly with vinegar to try and discourage peeing there. May or may not work.

How about putting another litter box in that corner? I know you said you don't want to move the litter box, but it can't hurt to have 2 litter boxes.
If you would like I can add some pictures of Mama and babies, upon request ;)
YES! Please! 😁

I’m having a similar situation. I was out of town when my mama gave birth and my sister forgot to put the best box in. (Definitely not leaving her in charge again.) Anyway she gave birth in her litter-box. lucky I came home that day and got everyone re-situated in the nesting box and everything was fine. However she stopped using her litter box instead she went right outside it. which was weird because with her last pregnancy she used her litter box religiously. She would never go outside it. So she didn’t switch her corner but she still wouldn’t use the box. My theory is that she can still smell the after birth or something. I scrubbed it out and everything and she’ll pee in it now but she still poops right outside it. I’m not worried about it to much right now. I’m going to wait and see what she does after the kits are weaned and her hormones right themselves.

I have a pregnant bunny and she only occasionally uses the litter box to pee in, she was fully litter trained before and a second litter box didn’t solve the problem. that might not help

Latest posts

Back