Why Did You Get Rabbits?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ISAC QUIN HOOER

Reaction score
Hey all,

Just wondering why you got rabbits, what is your story, and why you love them.

We got into keeping rabbits because we wanted another animal to keep on our farm, owing to that they were small, and required less space than, let's say, a horse, and were relatively easy to take care of, so we got a pair of them. We wanted two boys, Well, the seller misgendered and sold us a buck and doe. we had a litter of 6 and before we knew, we had Lots of Rabbits. We are under control now and we absolutely LOVE keeping them. Our favorite rabbits are Georgie (black rabbit inn profile pic), Bobby (brown one in profile pic), and Camomile (attachment).

Attachments

• 00M0M_3WFmt7QvUYFz_0lM0t2_600x450.jpg
    00M0M_3WFmt7QvUYFz_0lM0t2_600x450.jpg
    33.5 KB · Views: 0
When I was 12 I decided that I wanted to start researching a pet because I wanted to get one at 13 (I thought I would earn money by babysitting). At first I wanted a bird or a rat ( I’ve always wanted a bird and rats are just fun), but I decided on French Angora breeding so I could sell fur and kits. I did about a year of research on them and their breeding. After I had just turned 13 Covid hit. I had already saved up all the money I needed, but due to multiple happenings I realized an it work, but I already wanted a rabbit. I decided on a Holland Lop. I got Dune pretty soon after.9010BD11-E28B-4BFF-A8ED-874872C2DFA5.jpeg
I went to camp last summer and ended up falling in love with a Holland Lop and Netherland Dwarf mix named Bullet who also came home.522457E6-059F-461E-BBFB-2EFBE8EFDCA3.jpeg
Not so long later I was still wanting to breed rabbits, I ended up doing another year of research on Holland Lop breeding and genetics. Then I got Opal.D7CD18F1-FEDE-47DF-AD1D-DD4FA7536E1F.jpeg
I’m using breeding to save up to get all 3 spayed and neutered and hopefully someday bond them. Breeding had never been supposed to be long term, but I wanted to do it for the experience because I would someday like to be a vet (the playing with baby bunnies is a upside as well 😆). I’ve enjoyed every minute with my beautiful bunnies.4834D065-4F90-4ABB-9F19-1D547FB82DA2.jpeg

Last edited:
I LOVED rabbits in the first place, They are so soft and make a great pet. I did research, and found out stuff as I went, (Still am) ;) One day (I think it was a Saturday) We stoped at out local pet shelter. We went in and saw some cute rabbits, (Earlier that month\week we saw some rabbits on their website their names where, Buttons, Bunbun, and Sundae) Anyway back to the story, Bunbun was a very good rabbit, He was the only rabbit who could hop around outside his cage in the room, (I think) We got to go in the room and pet him, I loved him so much, but we could not get a rabbit then. I was sad to leave him. About a week later we went to see him, then one day they said he was not there, and family had taken him on a slumber party, and then I called the shelter a few days\weeks later and asked them if he were there, they said he was, I was SO happy. when they opened we went and we sat with him for a little, We got him on a slumber with us. We got some pellets, water bowl, litter box hay ect. (The shelter gave us stuff too) We got home and put him on our porch for a little, We moved our dinning room table and he had the dinning room, he had a fairly large cage to sleep in at night. He was in our dinning room for a pretty long time, then I forgot to lock the door of his cage, and what do you think he did? He pushed the cage door and got out.🤦‍♀️ In the morning he was out in our kitchen. We put him back in his cage. Bunbun would not like how busy our house was and we did not have a extra room for him, We built a hutch\house and a pen is connected to it, He likes outside better. He has a bigger house too. but he gets lots of fresh air in one of them, Not saying the other one does not have fresh air, And he lives happily ever after. Hope you enjoyed our story. Sorry if there are a few spelling mistakes. Here is Bunbun when we got him and now. First picture is around now and the second picture is when we got him. BTW He is around 4 yrs old, We do not know for sure though. Anyway, Here he is. The pictures are not too good.😉

Attachments

• IMG_8387.jpeg
    IMG_8387.jpeg
    256.2 KB · Views: 5
  • Screen Shot 2022-05-02 at 9.18.02 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-05-02 at 9.18.02 AM.png
    402.4 KB · Views: 5
I found my rabbit in my yard around around the time I created this account. It was a white rabbit which i knew wasn't wild even though I knew little about rabbits at the time(still learning a lot) and she was in my Halloween decorations at first. So then I decided to feed her pellets since im sure she was hungry and gave her water in a bowl in the same spot daily for a few days trying to trap her. hoping she didn't get eaten as I live in an area with snakes, hawks, owls, coyotes, etc. After a couple of days I caught her in a cardboard trap box I made.
This was her when I found her, i zoomed in on her as i didn't want to scare her.

This was her coming up to me eating pellets.
https://www.youtube.com/shorts/0pMwuQ1Ky1c
Then when I caught her, I bought a cage, she had some damage on her back from being attacked by something, a long scratch. Likely a bird. You can see the dark mark.
bunny.jpg

She has since healed and is a loving bunny that grooms me now and is spoiled with an outdoor 10x10 playpen. Albeit she must hate summer since she is stuck indoors in her 6x10 play pen.

I started with a hamster when I was around ten. I had two, both of which weren't what I really wanted, they were mean-spirited animals. But around age 12, I decided I wanted a rabbit. I had to do my research. I found that they were a small mix of a cat and a dog (both of which I love) and fell in love with their goofy quirks. It took a long time to convince my parents, but by the time I was 13, I got my first rabbit, a tiny Netherland Dwarf, named Echo. Sadly, by the time he turned 1, he was sick with ear mites, head tilt, and E. Coli. He passed a month after we started treatment.
Soon after Echo passed, I got my second rabbit (same breed), a doe named Primrose. At this point, with my mother's encouragement, I knew I wanted to breed. I got my buck, Forrest, two months later. I waited until they were both mature before I bred them in April of 2021. In May of 2021, I had my first litter and my second doe, Fern.
It progressed after that, and with a lot of learning along the way, I got two more bucks (Chia and Layke), and three more does (Indigo, Bluebell, and Linden). I kept Alex from one of my litters, because he grew on my family (he's a Bluebell x Forrest baby).
I love what I do. I have a lot of fun breeding my rabbits and hanging out with them. It's a ton of fun caring for and playing with them. They all have so many different personalities and quirks and I've only fallen more in love with rabbits. I bred for the SOP of the breed, so it's also been fun learning to get an eye for a well-built Nethie and to evaluate the looks of the rabbit I breed.
This beauty is Primrose.
image4 (1).jpeg
Attached below are some of the rabbits I have raised, I can't end without cute baby pictures ;)

Attachments

• image0 (6).jpeg
    image0 (6).jpeg
    108.3 KB · Views: 4
  • 665E297C-8718-4CDE-B65E-5A407EDB2B52.JPG
    665E297C-8718-4CDE-B65E-5A407EDB2B52.JPG
    161.1 KB · Views: 4
  • 2FE85C65-1251-48EA-9A19-8472B8D606D4.JPG
    2FE85C65-1251-48EA-9A19-8472B8D606D4.JPG
    139 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_0369.jpg
    IMG_0369.jpg
    151 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_5048.jpg
    IMG_5048.jpg
    179.1 KB · Views: 3
I've always loved rabbits, we had one when I was little (they were my older sister's rabbit when she was 2 or 3 years old (making me a year or two so I was too little to help care for them)) but she got bored of them so my parents rehomed them. All my life I asked my parents for a pet rabbit and they always said "no". Well back in 2018 (I was an adult then and still living with my parents) I was having a really hard time mentally and when my mom and I were talking to my at the time psychiatrist my mom told me her and my dad agreed to letting me have a rabbit and my little sister was going to help pay for them as a birthday present. I was super excited! My mom called one of her brothers to get a rabbit for me from the auction forthat weekend so I only had 3 or 4 days to do research (and pick names) and I did it night and day (but I'm still learning even 4 years later) and when he arrived I had a pleasant surprise, in the carrier were 2 kits! Blossom (the brown one) and Thumper (the white).

Attachments

• 20220428_132136.jpg
    20220428_132136.jpg
    241.7 KB · Views: 3
  • 20220604_161554.jpg
    20220604_161554.jpg
    201.2 KB · Views: 3
When I was 12 I decided that I wanted to start researching a pet because I wanted to get one at 13 (I thought I would earn money by babysitting). At first I wanted a bird or a rat ( I’ve always wanted a bird and rats are just fun), but I decided on French Angora breeding so I could sell fur and kits. I did about a year of research on them and their breeding. After I had just turned 13 Covid hit. I had already saved up all the money I needed, but due to multiple happenings I realized an it work, but I already wanted a rabbit. I decided on a Holland Lop. I got Dune pretty soon after.View attachment 61369
I went to camp last summer and ended up falling in love with a Holland Lop and Netherland Dwarf mix named Bullet who also came home.View attachment 61370
Not so long later I was still wanting to breed rabbits, I ended up doing another year of research on Holland Lop breeding and genetics. Then I got Opal.View attachment 61371
I’m using breeding to save up to get all 3 spayed and neutered and hopefully someday bond them. Breeding had never been supposed to be long term, but I wanted to do it for the experience because I would someday like to be a vet (the playing with baby bunnies is a upside as well 😆). I’ve enjoyed every minute with my beautiful bunnies.View attachment 61372
Bullet is so cute!

When I was moving out from my parents home the first thing I wanted to get where a pet. So I checked a marketplace kind of like craighlist but a lot more regulated. I was looking for a cat or kitten to buy. That’s when I saw a kit picture of a small nethie boy which I fell in love with. I took contact with the breeder and 5 years later, I still have contact with the breeder and that’s how I got Odin. He’s not my first bunny, I had one as a kid. I wanted a cat but my parents got me a bunny.

After Odin I wanted to get a giant bunny and a person contacted me while I was looking for one. Turned out a french lop rabbit was searching for a new home because her brother had passed away. So I took the opportunity and picked her up. I couldn’t bond her with Odin and she hated living indoors. Lilja was a bossy queen, so me and my dad built a large outdoor cage for her. Because she couldn’t be alone outside I had to get a friend for her. So back to “craiglist” looking for a neutered buck and that’s how I found Toste.

Toste had traumas and was an aggressive bunny. He was super scared of humans but I don’t blame the family. He’s a special bunny with bad eye sight in a kid family who didn’t understand rabbit language, they thought him punching with his paws was playing and he had mostly roamed around in the neighborhood because he escaped. He have escaped many times but always stay close and come back indoors.

When my girl Lilja passed away there was a hole. I missed my cuddly girl and I choice to get one of my dream bunnies a feisty belgian hare with a lot of energy. She’s called Embla and bonded to Odin.

So I had to get a fourth bunny for Toste to bond with and I got a netherland dwarf from a breeder who sell nethies and from the same line as Odin.

Attachments

• 20AE7BED-6436-466A-AF3F-A197707236F6.jpeg
    20AE7BED-6436-466A-AF3F-A197707236F6.jpeg
    75.8 KB · Views: 4
  • 91D4AC70-2309-44CA-BF68-2465B8599B54.jpeg
    91D4AC70-2309-44CA-BF68-2465B8599B54.jpeg
    139.7 KB · Views: 5
  • 581899AA-A691-4D17-9D1E-895128760FA5.jpeg
    581899AA-A691-4D17-9D1E-895128760FA5.jpeg
    194.8 KB · Views: 4
  • 1E69E278-9B99-4895-A2D1-D1640D0F89D9.jpeg
    1E69E278-9B99-4895-A2D1-D1640D0F89D9.jpeg
    180.4 KB · Views: 4
  • 92E3CD75-D1BB-4F88-9319-CC492EF58107.jpeg
    92E3CD75-D1BB-4F88-9319-CC492EF58107.jpeg
    279.7 KB · Views: 4
My niece had rescued a bunny. I would critter sit for her. (Horses, Dogs, Cat and a bunny.)
Cinnabun would come out from under bed, around 11pm. I would get on the floor and pet her.
While I was sitting I read how to take care of a bunny.
After a couple of months I asked "Can I take Cinnabun home?"
She said, "Yes."
Best move I've ever made!
She has taught me so much.
I have a miniature pincher that at first afraid of Cinnabun. (Bun would bite her) But know they get along very well.

Attachments

• 20210203_223552~2.jpg
    20210203_223552~2.jpg
    362.2 KB · Views: 3
I have always loved rabbits. One of my first toys was a little brown rabbit that my Oma gave me when I was 2 or 3, and my absolute favorite toy was a series of white rabbits named Bugsy that my Grandma gave me. (That's a fun story in itself!). Whenever I was 7 and my brother was 4, my dad's uncle gave us 4 boy bunnies: Blackie, Brownie, Lightning and Spot. My brother and I loved those rabbits! He and I took care of them: making sure they had food and water (dad cleaned the cage out), and every few days, we would let them out for supervised yard playtime. They all got along until hormones kicked in, and then three of them ganged up on Blackie. We brought him inside to recuperate (I remember on Easter, Mom tied a little red ribbon around Blackie's neck, and said "The Easter Bunny came!"), and one night, the neighborhood dogs broke their cage, and killed the three of them. 😞 My brother and I were heartbroken, but we still had Blackie for another year, when the same thing happened again.

In 2013, my sister was working at a livestock show/sale, and her boss came over to her. The girl who was showing these rabbits was a customer of his, but "my wife will kill me if I bring rabbits home too..." So my sister came home with three rabbits. She was in college, so they became my responsibility, but I didn't mind at all. I loved those rabbits, as much as I loved our original buns! Butterscotch, Ellie and Rascal were raised as "meat" buns, but I was determined to not let them have that fate. Rascal passed away a month later (there was a heatwave, and the day before, he and Butterscotch got into a fight, so he might have been injured to begin with). After I moved into my own house, I brought Butterscotch and Ellie with me, and we got them spayed and neutered. Since then, we lost Butterscotch (he developed cancer in 2020), but we also have Barry and Pippi.

I just love their reserved, quiet nature, and their antics always make me laugh. I really can't imagine life without a bun, and I'm so glad that I get to share my time with them and all of you like-minded bun-people! ❤️

Attachments

• 20220513_081553.jpg
    20220513_081553.jpg
    113.7 KB · Views: 5
  • 20200612_091229.jpg
    20200612_091229.jpg
    370 KB · Views: 7
  • 20200615_172303.jpg
    20200615_172303.jpg
    120.4 KB · Views: 5
  • 20200624_182651.jpg
    20200624_182651.jpg
    271.6 KB · Views: 3
Okay so a person got a rabbit for their young child as a pet and of course it was new and fun at first then no longer was “interesting “ I was originally going for the persons parrots which all were kept outside in a shed that was falling apart and never cleaned so there was about 2-3 inches of feces and bird food laying around so the rats and mice came in to eat poop and pee on top of that the bunny was in a tiny wire cage had sore hocks and very overgrown toenails in the corner of the room he looked pitiful there was very little heat and air . The man said if I wanted him too I could take him to my job and sell him he’s been in the shed for years the man said he’s had him for 5 yrs . I couldn’t leave him I didn’t need him but took him I knew he was sick thought it would be a quick easy vet fix I was soooo wrong 🥺 I now have almost $2k in him and I love him I’ve learned a lot about what amazing pets they can be ! These are pictures of his condition when I first got him 7728A4A4-8263-45B9-8387-7BA9FF66F592.jpegC73943DA-BD26-4F9C-8173-CE897007FA22.jpeg

Attachments

• 49034BA6-1A15-4C92-AE2E-A8146F1CE572.jpeg
    49034BA6-1A15-4C92-AE2E-A8146F1CE572.jpeg
    177 KB · Views: 3
Our cat attacked and tormented a baby cottontail. We rescued it and it grew up. Of course, cottontails belong in the wild; so, we released it.

But... I was devastated. My life was suddenly empty; but, as luck would have it our Humane Society had the pair of does you see in my avatar. We adopted them and eventually we wound up with six, one of which is a young Flemish Giant.

Our rabbits are wonderful company and I cannot imagine life without them. They are my best friends and I love caring for them. They make my life complete. DSC_0555.JPG

I have always loved rabbits. One of my first toys was a little brown rabbit that my Oma gave me when I was 2 or 3, and my absolute favorite toy was a series of white rabbits named Bugsy that my Grandma gave me. (That's a fun story in itself!). Whenever I was 7 and my brother was 4, my dad's uncle gave us 4 boy bunnies: Blackie, Brownie, Lightning and Spot. My brother and I loved those rabbits! He and I took care of them: making sure they had food and water (dad cleaned the cage out), and every few days, we would let them out for supervised yard playtime. They all got along until hormones kicked in, and then three of them ganged up on Blackie. We brought him inside to recuperate (I remember on Easter, Mom tied a little red ribbon around Blackie's neck, and said "The Easter Bunny came!"), and one night, the neighborhood dogs broke their cage, and killed the three of them. 😞 My brother and I were heartbroken, but we still had Blackie for another year, when the same thing happened again.

In 2013, my sister was working at a livestock show/sale, and her boss came over to her. The girl who was showing these rabbits was a customer of his, but "my wife will kill me if I bring rabbits home too..." So my sister came home with three rabbits. She was in college, so they became my responsibility, but I didn't mind at all. I loved those rabbits, as much as I loved our original buns! Butterscotch, Ellie and Rascal were raised as "meat" buns, but I was determined to not let them have that fate. Rascal passed away a month later (there was a heatwave, and the day before, he and Butterscotch got into a fight, so he might have been injured to begin with). After I moved into my own house, I brought Butterscotch and Ellie with me, and we got them spayed and neutered. Since then, we lost Butterscotch (he developed cancer in 2020), but we also have Barry and Pippi.

I just love their reserved, quiet nature, and their antics always make me laugh. I really can't imagine life without a bun, and I'm so glad that I get to share my time with them and all of you like-minded bun-people! ❤
Im sorry for everything you went through, It must of been awful, But everyone goes through hard times

When I was moving out from my parents home the first thing I wanted to get where a pet. So I checked a marketplace kind of like craighlist but a lot more regulated. I was looking for a cat or kitten to buy. That’s when I saw a kit picture of a small nethie boy which I fell in love with. I took contact with the breeder and 5 years later, I still have contact with the breeder and that’s how I got Odin. He’s not my first bunny, I had one as a kid. I wanted a cat but my parents got me a bunny.

After Odin I wanted to get a giant bunny and a person contacted me while I was looking for one. Turned out a french lop rabbit was searching for a new home because her brother had passed away. So I took the opportunity and picked her up. I couldn’t bond her with Odin and she hated living indoors. Lilja was a bossy queen, so me and my dad built a large outdoor cage for her. Because she couldn’t be alone outside I had to get a friend for her. So back to “craiglist” looking for a neutered buck and that’s how I found Toste.

Toste had traumas and was an aggressive bunny. He was super scared of humans but I don’t blame the family. He’s a special bunny with bad eye sight in a kid family who didn’t understand rabbit language, they thought him punching with his paws was playing and he had mostly roamed around in the neighborhood because he escaped. He have escaped many times but always stay close and come back indoors.

When my girl Lilja passed away there was a hole. I missed my cuddly girl and I choice to get one of my dream bunnies a feisty belgian hare with a lot of energy. She’s called Embla and bonded to Odin.

So I had to get a fourth bunny for Toste to bond with and I got a netherland dwarf from a breeder who sell nethies and from the same line as Odin.
They are SOOOO adorable! 😍😍

My niece had rescued a bunny. I would critter sit for her. (Horses, Dogs, Cat and a bunny.)
Cinnabun would come out from under bed, around 11pm. I would get on the floor and pet her.
While I was sitting I read how to take care of a bunny.
After a couple of months I asked "Can I take Cinnabun home?"
She said, "Yes."
Best move I've ever made!
She has taught me so much.
I have a miniature pincher that at first afraid of Cinnabun. (Bun would bite her) But know they get along very well.
I love creative names for rabbits. cinnabun is a good name! 😍

I just love their reserved, quiet nature, and their antics always make me laugh. I really can't imagine life without a bun, and I'm so glad that I get to share my time with them and all of you like-minded bun-people! ❤
that is such an awesome story. Thank you so much for sharing you story!

After volunteering at the local humane society. The rabbits were neglected and not on the same par as the top two surrendered pets. It was an eye-opener to read the reasons why people surrendered them.

Prior to volunteering at shelter for numerous years, I rehabbed cottontails.

When our children were growing up, I admired the wild cottontails that came by to visit.

@Orrin , sorta began as you did. Rehab years and hearing of the dog kills, cat-attacks, orphaned babies, and then putting full-time efforts into providing survival chances for my rehab patients upon release.

Hub knew I missed the last batch of released patients. I developed a deep bond with this species; he suggested I go to the shelter to adopt. (Well, it did not help that one of the formula babes in rehab licked my skin after s/he got her formula in the syringe). Our first house companion was adopted in 2003. I interacted with and saw the various personalities of misunderstood frightened buns at shelter -- being aware of surrenders who were euth'd at shelter due to over capacity. -- Personal experiences at shelter later transitioned into a Rescue Organization (from pregnant females dumped outdoors) to my/our dedicated lagomorph love!

Like you @Nancy McClelland , probably 50 or more rescues, strays, unwanteds, et al, sp/eutered and helped.

In the process of dedicating our lives to helping animals and pets, many friendships were established. - Exactly, Orrin, they make my life complete. Furry soulmates!!

Showed rabbits in 4H as a kid. They were outside rabbits, so hearing about house rabbits when I became an adult intrigued me. But having dogs, and fostering for rescue, I didn't think it was a good idea at the time. I'm not fostering anymore and the dogs I do have are mostly older and laid back so I got to thinking about a house rabbit again and figured a Flemish Giant would be a good choice.

I was still in the "thinking about it" phase when a guy brought a rabbit into the shelter where I work. He claims he found it in its cage on the side of the road. But people tell all kinds of stories when they're dumping their animals. Although he's not a Flemish Giant, Cadbury is a big bunny that was living in a small cage. He also loves dogs. We dog tested him at the shelter and he was fearless. I brought him home to four dogs and a cat and he has no problem with any of them.

He lives in a large dog crate with an x-pen attached so he spends most of his time lounging in the middle of the living room with nothing but the pen between him and the dogs. They wrestle and run around right next to the pen and he doesn't even flinch. I couldn't have asked for a more perfect first house bunny! The shelter actually had three more come in as strays after I adopted this guy but doubt they would have fit in as well as he does so I passed on adopting another one right now. I would like for him to have a bunny friend, but he seems fairly content with his dog and cat friends at the moment.

Please ignore the mess in the attached pictures, I was doing some deep cleaning while working around him. Couple pictures of him hanging out with his dogs, and also a picture of him being dog tested at the shelter with Oscar who is a therapy dog and pretty trustworthy.

Attachments

• cadbury.jpg
    cadbury.jpg
    159.1 KB · Views: 9
  • thumbnailA.jpg
    thumbnailA.jpg
    198.6 KB · Views: 10
  • thumbnailB.jpg
    thumbnailB.jpg
    89.3 KB · Views: 9
  • thumbnailC.jpg
    thumbnailC.jpg