Why did you choose a rabbit as a pet? What you love?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here's something I thought might be fun. I'm curious, what is it that makes you enjoy rabbits as pets. Most people pick cats, or dogs, or even guinea pigs, but what is it that makes you choose and enjoy rabbits.

Personally;
I love the attitude that rabbits have. They are very much a 'golden rule' pet, meaning, if you treat them well, they will treat you well. But if you are mean to them, not only will they be mean to you, but they will exact revenge against you (pee on bed, chew cords, bite). I like an animal that has that sort of view/behavior towards the world. A dog will love you no matter what you do. But a rabbit requires you to get on their level, and to maintain a respectful and mindful relationship. Also, when they open up to you, it's so very rewarding because you work for their love and earned it, it wasn't freely give to you. A rabbit that loves you will give you it's toys, lick your face and hair, and cuddle with you. I also appreciate an animal that has 50lbs of personality in a 2lb body (reminds me of me LOL)
People often think rabbits are boring and stupid animals, but it's all due to ignorance. I often think that when someone tells me they don't want to work towards earning an animals affection and respect, that they must not be a decent friend (I have intense anxiety, which can be difficult for people).
As a kid, my mom loved to regale me of stories about her angora rabbit, Cassidy. And how loving, sweet, and hilarious he was.

So, what are your reasons for choosing and loving rabbits? (besides them being so insanely cute)
So Beautifully put, and exactly why I love my bunnies so much!

We are supplemental feeding the runt of a litter and keeping it in a large cage in our family room. We have two others from the same litter with it for companionship. A while back we opened their door to see how free roaming would work out for them. Perfect! We been down this road with kittens and puppies and were frustrated with one "accident" after another all over the house. These little two-month darlings have not been one bit of inconvenience. They pee where they are supposed to and do most of their poopies there, too. Only occasionally do we find an occasional "peppercorn" here or there. That's expected.

We've had cats that have done their stinky "business" in the most inconvenient places; we've had dogs that came along shortly after we policed up their lawn messes and did their smelly pooping just as honored guests were arriving. Why do I love rabbits? Dozens of reasons; but, best of all they don't embarrass us like cats and dogs do.

Inherited our first rabbit from my son. Chunk was supposed to spend the summer with us and then go to my son's then-girlfriend, now wife's house out in the country. As my wife says, after a week, she could tell that the rabbit wasn't going anywhere. Chunk passed, but we have another one, again, inherited from our son. I didn't know that I needed a rabbit until I had one. Now, our family is a rabbit-family!

My stepdad's friends adopted a holland lop they named Miss Cuddles. When my mom and stepdad met the little bunny they were instantly charmed by her and the couple who owned her mentioned that the breeder had a couple of boys she needed to find homes for. So they decided we'd get that pair of bunnies and of course, like every time we get a new pet, i was the only one who did any research on keeping rabbits so in the end i was the only one who really looked out for them. I knew the SECOND I laid eyes on them - especially my surprise chocolate boy, Jackson - that rabbits would be my #1 favorite pet for the rest of my life. I want to own at least one of each interesting breed in my lifetime!

Latest posts

Back