Why did Robbie bite me?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Then it might be possible Robbie is female and experiencing a false pregnancy. 🤔 If I recall, female rabbits who have not been spayed and reach a certain age tend to go through this when not mated.
Yeah that's what I was thinking xx
Do boys go through anything like that?
I'd get him spayed if he was a girl xx

Well, lets say it would be very, very unlikely, I think I've heard of a neutered male nesting once though. But with an intact male that age, and you smelling of other rabbits now and then it would be more likely that you got sprayed with pee by now :D

I have never seen any of my three boys behave like girls, even before being neutered. So i don't think it's the case that Robbie was fixed.
You should get a rabbit savvy vet's opinion, or perhaps if Robbie is willing to let you snag a pic of that underbelly, then maybe one of us could help identify..

I have never seen any of my three boys behave like girls, even before being neutered. So i don't think it's the case that Robbie was fixed.
You should get a rabbit savvy vet's opinion, or perhaps if Robbie is willing to let you snag a pic of that underbelly, then maybe one of us could help identify..
I know how to tell the different genders but I dont think he will let me .

Well, you can always try different options to take a peek, and maybe ask family for help too.
Storm wouldn't let us look either, but we somehow managed as we found out that he's a good chunk more docile when gently rolled onto his side.

Well, you can always try different options to take a peek, and maybe ask family for help too.
Storm wouldn't let us look either, but we somehow managed as we found out that he's a good chunk more docile when gently rolled onto his side.
Okay I will ask my dad to help .

The nesting can mean Robbie is a girl and having a false pregnancy if there is no chance that 'she' was with one of the other rabbits and became pregnant. Or it could be Robbie is in fact a buck just experiencing spring fever and showing nesting behavior as well. Yes, in rare instances some bucks have been known to build a nest.

The biting, could have to do with spring fever and an upsurge of hormones causing nesting and increased hormonal behaviors in rabbits. Even spayed/neutered rabbits can experience this. Or it could be you had one of the other rabbits smell on your hands and this upset Robbie for some reason. Or it could be a combination of spring fever and the smell of another rabbit. Or it could be Robbie got scared or startled by something and he lashed out and bit you before he realized it was you.

The nesting can mean Robbie is a girl and having a false pregnancy if there is no chance that 'she' was with one of the other rabbits and became pregnant. Or it could be Robbie is in fact a buck just experiencing spring fever and showing nesting behavior as well. Yes, in rare instances some bucks have been known to build a nest.

The biting, could have to do with spring fever and an upsurge of hormones causing nesting and increased hormonal behaviors in rabbits. Even spayed/neutered rabbits can experience this. Or it could be you had one of the other rabbits smell on your hands and this upset Robbie for some reason. Or it could be a combination of spring fever and the smell of another rabbit. Or it could be Robbie got scared or startled by something and he lashed out and bit you before he realized it was you.
Okay thank you !
He's got a new set up now , could that have upset him?IMG20210502212428.jpgpicture of it . He only stays in it an night and when everyone is out .

Doesn't look like a lot changed, I doubt that would upset - him?

Do you have a picture of the nest, would be interesting if it's a full fledged affair or a half hearted attempt.

Doesn't look like a lot changed, I doubt that would upset - him?

Do you have a picture of the nest, would be interesting if it's a full fledged affair or a half hearted attempt.
He did it in his litter box and a corner I'm his pen which I cleaned . Sorry
I just moved his stuff around a bit when I moved something from under the cabinet because he got into it .

did you go into robbie's cage unannounced? Might be territorial stuff... and he's saying STAY OUT. Robbie MIGHT be a girl and not a boy. If Robbie's building a nest... expect kits within the week unless it's a false pregnancy.

Our 13+ y.o. spayed girls would bite down hard if I my fingers or hands smelled like shower gel, hand soap, perfume agents. They didn't like other scents on my hands. Our first adopted spayed girl from the shelter bit my fingers and ankles when I returned from rabbit socialization time and I smelled differently.

Is there a reason Robbie or Roberta (thank you Preitler) could be frightened from other noises or outside dangers as JBun mentioned?

Book author Nancy Furstinger had a nest building male rabbit. We had a neutered 7 y.o. male who gathered hay in his mouth for an unknown reason. He lived next to his spayed 7 y.o. sister, both indoors.

Highly concerned about hormones and gender status.

Last edited:
Lawrence will lunge at me if he's sleeping outside his hidey-house and I wake him up by coming it. It's just his reaction to protect his house, and I don't take it personally. He's never bit me, but he did run into me so hard one time, he hit me with his teeth! 🤣

If Robbie is, in fact, a Robert, you may have just startled him while he wasn't paying attention, and his buck-rabbit instincts took over!

Latest posts

Back