Why did my rabbit do this?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BunBun71

Reaction score
Hello everyone,
Last night I went out and gave my rabbit dinner. This morning, when I went out to give him breakfast he had not eaten any of his dinner, and he didn't eat much of his breakfast when I gave it to him. Finally he ate some and then when I gave him lunch he did not eat any for a while. He seems to be acting fine otherwise, I let him out and he did zoomies around his big pen. I was wondering why you think he did this?

Thanks!

Rabbits usually don’t just go off of food like dogs or cats can. So when a bunny doesn’t eat it’s dinner, that usually signals a problem. GI Stasis and gas are the most common reasons that a rabbit will go off eating. Rabbits should have constant access to fresh hay and water which makes up about 80% of their diet. Other things such as dark, leafy vegetables and Timothy based pellets make up the next part of their diet.
GI stasis is a deadly illness in rabbits, especially if you don’t notice the signs. That might be, sitting hunched, not wanting to move, not eating, not pooping or having very small poops. If BunBun still isn’t eating, I’d give him some baby gas drops, 1ml every hour for three doses. If nothing has improved half an hour after the third dose, you should call a vet.
What is BunBun’s diet like?

Thank you. This is BunBun's diet:
Morning is fresh vegges.
Lunch pellets.
And dinner is vegges.
Hope that helps! 💠

Yes, I give him hay. He has a hay box now so he has hay all the time (he did before too).
Veggies - a bowl full (split)
Pellets - 1/4 cup

Ok thank you. Is Bunbun eating yet or is he still not eating? If he isn’t eating still, baby gas drops (simethicone), will help relieve gas. One 1ml dose every hour for three doses should help, but if not, you will need to get him to a vet. For now you can also give him stomach massages:
Offer him a lot of hay, maybe refresh it every two hours or so (you could just stir it around in the hay box and add a small handful on top). Fennel and dill seeds should help. Brew them into a tea (no sugar, no honey) and feed it to him when it’s room temp.

Latest posts

Back