why did my bunny die?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

marcie150

Reaction score
I think I am still in shock that our 2 1/2 yr old Holland Lop, Oreo, died yesterday. He had only eaten 1/2 of his food in the morning but was hopping around as usual. By 2 p.m. my daughter noticed he was laying on her carpet quite lethargic. When I picked him up he was quite weak. I immediately gave him some water which he drank. My husband ran to the vet office to get some Critical Care. Our regular vet was already closed for the day and the other vet office didn't treat rabbits. We thought we would try the critical care and if he didn't respond we would call the emergency vet. Within about 1 hour of all this, Oreo hopped out of his bed to lay beside our dog (who he adored), peed then died. I am so confused and feel so horribly guilty. He had been pooping and hopping around fine the night before. We just don't understand what could have been wrong and feel so guilty that we didn't get him to a vet right away. Is it common for a bunny to die within a few hours of being ill?? Had we known we had so little time to help him we would not have tried to at home first. Please if anyone has any insight into this I would greatly appreciate it. I have been reading up on GI stasis and other than the loss of appetite he doesn't seem to have any of those symptoms. He was laying stretched out and stayed that way until he passed. We are heartbroken right now.

I am so sorry to hear how you lost your bunny. Unfortunately, the symptoms are too general to indicate what the cause might have been. It may have been something sudden, or the bunny may not have shown previous signs of an existing illness. A necropsy might help to give some answers, but is not always conclusive.

I am so sorry for your loss. I lost my male ntherland dwarf, Prince, last Wednesday. I know the pain you feel. Rabbits hide their illnesses very well and there isn't really anything that we can do. When the illness manifests it is then sometimes too late to do anything.

You did what you could do. Your bunny was loved and taken care of by you and your family.

These losses are never easy, especially when we lose our bunnies so young. Prince was 2 1/2 years old when he passed away, August 31, 2011.

May you find comfort in knowing that your bunny was loved and well taken care of. Oreo is looking down on you making sure you and your family is doing okay. May Oreo's spirit be with you always.

As with many prey animals, rabbits are often good at hiding symptoms of illness until they're really quite sick. I'm sorry for your loss and I wish we could give you an explanation but without a necropsy I'm afraid you may never learn what happened.

I am so sorry for your loss. We have had two bunnies over our lifetime of rabbits die suddenly. One was 14 months old and went into organ failure and died of a heart attack that we found out later was caused by the pine litter that we were using. Nickolas was 5 and died from a huge stomach tumor that we didn't know that was there until he suddenly quit eating and pooing. These little guys are very good at not showing that something is wrong or that they are ill until it is often too late. I think that it may be a survival skill that they have developed. Take comfort in that he didn't appear to suffer, he died beside someone that he really loved, and you did the absolute best that you could for him. DON'T feel guilty. He is hopping freely and without illness at the bridge.

We're sorry for your loss. Unfortunately bunnies are very good at hiding problems and sometimes there is a problem that shows no sign til way too late. We have lost a couple that way and it is heart breaking. Rest in peace Oreo and binky free little man.

I'm so sorry for your loss. :(

I'm glad you found RO in your time of need.

Oreo is likely binkying at the Rainbow Bridge with all the other bunnies that have passed and are waitng for their owners. :rainbow:

I agree with a lot of the things that have been posted.
I'm guessing that there was something else going on.

:pray:

Latest posts

Back