Why did an entire litter pass away within 5 days?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I am very distraught over this... Cannot eat, sleep, go to work, get out of bed (except to feed my bunnies) and every time I look out my windows to see their little graves, I cry hysterically. Cannot even hear a bird chirp without getting very sad, as it sounds a lot like the babies.

I did my best to keep Storm away from this 6-month-old bunny I am temporarily housing, and had I no idea she was pregnant. But he must have done it through the cage. This was her 4th pregnancy; she has always been an exceptional mother who had 10 babies her first time, and All survived. This was her first pregnancy since weaning in June.

She gave birth in a large box with a hole in it, so I moved them to a plastic nestbox (used the same towels she gave birth on) I always do. For the next couple of days, I checked on them a lot but only saw Storm check on them once. Every time I checked them, their bellies were almost empty with ribs showing (I was thinking that I checked at bad times). Two days after being born, I decided to hold them up to her teats to nurse to at least get something in their tummies UNTIL she nurses them. I kept the nest box right next to my bed to hear if she nursed in the middle of the night. From Friday night to Monday, with almost 24-hour surveillance. Nothing. 15 minutes to a few hours after feeding and urinating since Sunday, the babies would quickly go downhill and pass away. I called the vet and followed her advice, but they still never made it. I even kept them all in my room to avoid distractions.

How can babies go from crawling, being strong enough to latch on any time I offered them food, then suddenly passing away? They were all fairly large, not premature it seems. One odd thing was, they hardly retained warmth, so I used a heating pad on low and sometimes medium, and they were STILL cold. I also made sure I was not over-feeding them.

The last baby lived until 6 AM this morning. Got up at 3 AM, feed him a little, he was crawling around the nest box and was finally warm, urinated, then I went back to sleep. A few hours later, he was gone and very cold.

I just do not understand why none made it. They seemed healthier than a lot of my runts that made it, and were born so lively and strong. Is there something wrong with Storm or the younger, Lionhead bunny? I never use harsh chemicals around my bunnies, and I feed them a good diet and get vet check-ups.

I would have gotten Storm spayed, but her heavy breathing worries me, although the vets said she is perfectly healthy... I am so sorry I failed the babies. I loved them and wanted them to grow up and be happy :(

Last edited:
I don't have any advice, however, I would recommend getting her spayed. Keep in mind the risks of her getting cancer are higher than the risks of the spay surgery.

I'm very sorry you're going through this. Did all babies look like a normal baby should (all limbs, etc.)? I know some litters fail but all of them dying does seem weird. Hopefully someone can offer you some more information.

Your doe can been really tired, you wrote it was her 4th litter and she's only 1 year old. Doe can take there first litter between 6 months to 1 year and having 4 litters must have caused troubles for her. Making the last litter not to survive, she was not in her opitimal state. It's common for kits to not survive if the doe don't take care of them, abounding, stressed and so on. It can also be that she didn't produce milk, so the kits didn't have enough.

My own netherland dwarf and his siblings was abandoned by their mother , the breeder was lucky other does adopted them but they didn't accept my buck because he was a runt. So he was bottle feed from the start instead. At least those bunnies was lucky to survive but sometimes luck and hard work won't help. From your information it seem that she abounded her kits, which is quite common among some mothers specially if they aren't in the right condition.

I just think 4 accident litters are quite a lot for accidents, I could understand 2 but four really are incredible and can't wrap my mind on how it happened. But in your case, getting so many litters in the same year and so near eachother can have been the cause.

So don't be too hard on yourself, you tried your best but sometimes it's not enough. This time nature took its course for Storms kits. She going to need a lot of recuperate time and be healthy again before she can even take a litter again. So make sure to keep all the bucks away from her and make her encloser buck secure, until she's spayed or all the bucks are neutered.

I don't have any advice, however, I would recommend getting her spayed. Keep in mind the risks of her getting cancer are higher than the risks of the spay surgery.

I'm very sorry you're going through this. Did all babies look like a normal baby should (all limbs, etc.)? I know some litters fail but all of them dying does seem weird. Hopefully someone can offer you some more information.
Yes, they were all fully-formed, a good size, making noises, squirming and sometimes crawling...Just so strong. I have had so many weaker and smaller kits that survived. Thank you for your help.

I just think 4 accident litters are quite a lot for accidents, I could understand 2 but four really are incredible and can't wrap my mind on how it happened. But in your case, getting so many litters in the same year and so near eachother can have been the cause.
Yes, and I feel very ashamed of it. The first time, I thought Gary was a girl because the breeder told me, and he "looked" like a girl to me. He made Storm Pregnant when he was only 3 months old and I did not see testicles. The 2nd time, I was dumb and thought Gary would not catch her, as she kept running from him while I cleaned their cages. When he caught her for a few seconds, I washed her bottom to try and prevent pregnancy. The other 2 times, this one bunny named Bucky got her through the cage (I assume), just like I am assuming this other male bunny did (they have never been out of their enclosures at the same time).

All of my male bunnies (Gary and Panda) are neutered; this bunny is not, which is why he is always either in a cage or locked in my bedroom alone.

Thank you very much for the help and information. This hurts so bad and I feel like I murdered the bunnies.

Last edited:
Newborns who stay cold don’t typically make it. There may have been something wrong with the breeding, in other words, a particular pairing can create a genetically flawed offspring. No way of knowing, for sure, but I suspect there wasn’t much you could have done. Your doe may have sensed there was something wrong with them and didn’t feed them for that reason.

Latest posts

Back